#3 cylinder missing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #3 cylinder missing

Hi, I have a RTX 2005 with about 110hrs on it (never had issues before)...I was out yesterday for about 30 min. riding at 1/2 power or less then the last 5 min to get back in I was at full power at 70mph, as I let off the power to approach the lift I lost #3 cylinder I ended up coming in on 2 cylinders....I felt by a very light smell the engine was hot, I felt around inside and did feel a bit hot but nothing serious, I let it cool down a bit and the third cylinder started to fire but went on and off, I then pulled plug on #3 and #2 compared and found nothing wrong with spark plugs, I swapped plugs from #2 to #3 and coils, started it back up let it idle and #3 was missing less but missed every 5 sec or so, also after doing the spark plug swap, it was even more cooled off as to why maybe it was missing less or working better....

I’m feeling it was an over heat issue? if so, why, and how to trouble shoot this overheat issue?

I did notice that once I brought it in on 2 cylinders, I lifted it out of the water, then put it back to idle it, I noticed bubbles coming from back of seadoo once I put it back into the water, like the heat exchanger was boiling the lake water, I just never noticed anything like that before (bubbles).

Re: #3 cylinder missing

Is the coolant in the coolant bottle at the correct level? If the ski is over heating it maybe rev-limiting or coolant maybe blowing out of the tank. If you find some one with a scan tool have them scan faults and check min. and max engine temps, this will show you how high the engine and exhaust temps have raised to.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I checked the coolant level and it was normal, and had no signs of any coolant in hull, as no smells of coolant anywhere....I do know it is #3 cylinder as I pulled the coil wire at that location and the missing firing did not change so I knew it was #3 cylinder, don't think it was a rev limiter as it only started it once I release full throttle and I do know the feel of what the rev limiter will do to the engine, like starving the gas to the engine...

so the only way to check for over temp is to connect this scan tool? I have one for my Jeep, I'm sure that will not work?

I know their are two different coolants on board, antifreeze closed loop and lake water, will the lake water coolant system have a fault and cause this problem? by being plugged? or can it be plugged? How about antifreeze closed loop system have a pump problem or a plug?

Originally posted by Technical Support View Post
      Is the coolant in the coolant bottle at the correct level? If the ski is over heating it maybe rev-limiting or coolant maybe blowing out of the tank. If you find some one with a scan tool have them scan faults and check min. and max engine temps, this will show you how high the engine and exhaust temps have raised to.

Comment

(((update))) I figured it out, it was my spark plug in that cylinder, I replaced and all is well now

Comment

Very good.
          SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
          We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
          Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
          X