2000 xl700 carb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 xl700 carb question

I'm putting back together a 2000 xl700. Bought ski with motor blown and missing the carbs. I just had the cylinders bored .60 over was already at 40. Bought a set of clean carbs mikuni 38's off ebay. Not sure if carbs are stock though. i will be putting the ski back together with all the stock intake and exhaust parts. Can anyone please give me the stock size jets, needle, and spring weight that should be in a stock 38 carb? Also with these stock parts what should the popoff pressure be? Thanks George

Re: 2000 xl700 carb question

Needles and seats go with 1.5, 1.2 also may be fine. low speed jet is 67.5 both carbs. High speed jet on carb with fuel pump will be 130 size. Carb without fuel pump will be 120 jet size. try a shinny silver spring to get up to 35 psi.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

With the motor now being over bored .60 but running the stock intake and exhaust would this stock carb jet/needle/popoff combination be what you would recommend? I have had people tell me that with the over bore I would have to change the jets. Thanks for the quick response and info. George

Comment

You will not know until you run it, and do spark plug checks at wide open throttle, read the plugs. If it is running too lean and you are out 2 turns on the high speed then jetting will have to change to a larger size. If the ski stumbles off idle then open up the lows until it runs correctly. TIP= If you feel any surging in the mid range or top end then jetting is still too lean.

Comment

What is the reasoning behind the different size main jets with the one with the fuel pump having a 130 jet, and the one without the fuel pump having a 120 as recommended above? Thanks in advance for all the great advise.

Comment

Thats just the way the factory sets it up, The 1 cylinder runs leaner and needs more fuel to keep it cooler

Comment

Working...
            X