Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kawasaki 650 X2 problems - won't start

Hey Guys,

I am an old school stand-up flat water freestyle guy. I have a modified 97 Superjet as my main ride. However, my first ski was a Kawasaki X2. I got a bit nostalgic for my 50th birthday a few weeks back and bought a used X2 that had been sitting a while and not running. It has plenty of spark and good compression (150 psi with a stock head) in each cylinder. However, it will not fire. I have some questions I am hoping someone on the forum can help me with.

The carb is a Mikuni BN44 with the round fuel pump, and I put a rebuild kit in it (thanks SBT!). When I turn over the engine, I am not seeing any fuel coming back through the return and there is no fuel getting to the main chamber in the carb. The chamber check-valve appears to work fine. The ski also has a primer kit. The primer doesn't work unless I remove the end of the fuel line from the carb's fuel pump and plug it with my finger. The primer can then create vacuum and works, so there would appear to an air leak somewhere in the carb preventing it from creating vacuum. If anyone is familiar with the Mikuni 44 round and can give me some pointers, I would appreciate it.

There are three main nipples on the carb, and two smaller nipples. The three main are for fuel in, return, and pulse for the fuel pump. The small nipple at the top of the carb is for the primer. Any idea what the second small nipple is for? it is just below the primer nipple and comes off the carb at a 45 degree angle. There is no hose attached.

Another strange thing is if I put gas down the throat of the carb with the primer pump, the ski STILL does not fire at all. Same with starting fluid - the motor doesn't even try to light off. Again, compression is good and there is spark at the plugs.

Finally, there are four hoses coming off the fuel tank. One is for main fuel and one is for reserve. One is marked "return" The fourth one has a one-way check valve and attached to the separater bowl. It is not attached to anything, but looks like it was at some point. On my Superjet, this hose is just a vent.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

-Keith in Seattle

Re: Kawasaki 650 X2 problems - won't start

More information, and still hoping someone can help: If I prime the engine, then hold down the start button for about four seconds, I get a loud BANG in the exhaust pipe. The engine never tries to catch and run. It is like raw fuel is getting loaded in the pipe, then ignited because the exhaust port is open. Could this be an ignition module problem? Is there a way to adjust ignition timing? I assume these engines just use a pulse from the flywheel to determine firing. Again, any input would be most appreciated!!!

Comment

Working...
    X