2 Remanufactured SBT Engines Max Out At 5000 RMP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Remanufactured SBT Engines Max Out At 5000 RMP

I recently installed 2 SBT Yamaha Premium Engines 1200 Non-PV in my 2000 model Yamaha LS2000 and now have 19 hours on the engines. I followed the break-in instruction as described and the engines run great except I can only get a maximum of 5000 RPM and that is just past ½ throttle. Anything past ½ throttle stays at 5000 RPM all the way to WOT on both engines with a maximum speed of 42 MPH with one person in the boat. The entire jet drives were completely rebuilt 6 months prior to installing the new engines and with the old low compression engines I was able to get around 6500 RPM with a max speed of around 47 MPH. I have checked the throttle cables, rebuilt the carburetors, set the high & low speed screen to factory settings & changed the plugs and still no change.

I’m looking for suggestions as to what to do next.

A little more information:
    -Oil lines upgraded when the new engines were installed
    -No alteration to impellers other than replaced them with new ones
    -Replaced tachometers & Speedo meter
    -Flushed oil tank
    -Replaced oil & fuel filters
    -Use only high octane no ethanol gas
    -Engines start quickly and idle well
    -Replaced all exhaust pipes and seals throughout cooling system
    Last edited by JFine; 10-10-2015, 01:26 PM. Reason: Typo

Re: 2 Remanufactured SBT Engines Max Out At 5000 RMP

Originally posted by JFine View Post
    I recently installed 2 SBT Yamaha Premium Engines 1200 PV in my 2000 model Yamaha LS2000
    Do you have the original 1200NPV engines or have you done something to fit 1200PV engines in the boat?
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Technical Support View Post
      Do you have the original 1200NPV engines or have you done something to fit 1200PV engines in the boat?
      Sorry about the typo; the post should have said I recently installed 2 SBT Yamaha Premium Engines 1200 Non-PV instead of 1200 PV and I sent the 1200 Non-PV engines back to you guys

Comment

Could it possibly be the ignition timing causing no RPM change past ½ throttle? Does SBT set the ignition timing before they ship a re-manufactured engine?

Comment

Working...
        X