Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

650sc top end rebuild-what else to finish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 650sc top end rebuild-what else to finish?

I recently rebuilt my top end with a kit from SBT. After putting it all back together it fired up nicely, but I am unable to water test it until spring. I did nothing to the carb as it was operating fine before the rebuild. When I do go to the river for testing in the spring will I need to do any adjusting or should it operate fine? This is my first rebuild. Thanks for any advice.

Re: 650sc top end rebuild-what else to finish?

what was the reason for the rebuild?
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

According to my good friend who runs a motorcycle repair shop and helped me with advice along the way, the reason for the rebuild was a crank seal at the back end of the engine gone bad and leaning out that cylinder until it finally destroyed the rings on it. This is a single carb Kawasaki 650 from a 95 Sport Cruiser.

Comment

Well hello everybody its me again. I finally got to the lake to use the newly rebuilt top end Kawasaki 650sc. When I put it in the water it started right up and ran fine. I ran it at 3/4 throttle for a few minutes around the water on my way from the ramp to the dock at the rental house we go to and it was fine. Tied up at the dock. Several times it was taken out for 5 or 10 minutes of run time with no problems. Then my wife took it out and it ran well, then it hesitated a few times and died once or twice. Seemed as if the idle was low and needed to be adjusted to keep it running which I did do. Then I took it out and ran it around a few minutes with the higher idle and it hesitated once and then it died. Would not start again. Got home and checked compression and both cylinders equally low at 25 or 30. Certainly not enough compression to start or run.
        So now I need to figure out what happened. Did I blow a brand new head gasket? Did I blow a brand new cylinder base gasket? Did I blow out the brand new crankshaft gasket I just replaced?
        Anybody have any other ideas for me to check out? Can anyone tell me how to check for gasket leaks? Can I use soapy water the same as I do when I check gas pipe connections? I'm kind of at a loss here since the whole thing was all new.
        Thanks!

Comment

please take the head off of the motor and send pictures to: pictures@sbt.com so that we can help figure what caused the failure

Comment

Thank you. Will try to get to it after work this evening! I knew I could count on you guys!
            Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by SBT-Tech 2 View Post
              please take the head off of the motor and send pictures to: pictures@sbt.com so that we can help figure what caused the failure
              Ok. I sent the pics. When you get them and see them you will see pieces of the rings embedded into the tops of both Pistons. More so on the rear piston but stil on both. Obvious now why no compression. So what causes this? Because last time my mechanic friend said it was a lean situation caused by the rear crank seal so I replaced that along with an SBT top end kit. What now? Carb was operating just fine so I never touched it. I figured if it ain't broke don't fix it. Was I wrong? How can I test a carb to see if it's lean? What else could be leaning out an engine that has a brand new complete top end and only 20 minutes of run time?

Comment

Sent n email but then I saw a notation that said not to communicate with pm. Hope this gets your attention.

Comment

still waiting for a reply

Comment

Anything?

Comment

try sending it to cory@SBT.com

Comment

Thanks. I had been talking with Paul Sage. Its not an issue for now I guess. There is no way SBT will warranty this. So I will have to rebuild again.

Comment

Working...
                        X