Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

98 GTX Ltd. Hull Leak from Pump Bolts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 GTX Ltd. Hull Leak from Pump Bolts...

If it's not one thing it's another...

After re-installing the jet pump, I took the ski down to the river. While the ski was still on the trailer and not started, I could see water trickling in from the four bolts that hold the jet pump to the shoe(?). Also, it looked as if a little bit of water was also trickling in from the where the engine water drain leaves the hull and from where the steering cable leaves the hull, on the lower starboard side of the boat just above the lower starboard pump bolt.

I took the jet pump back off and plan to use some rubber gasket sealer to seal around the outside where the bolts meet the hull. I also plan to cover the inside where the bolts come through the hull with some gasket sealer as well.

Anybody know why this happens? It never did it before I removed the jet pump. Will the gasket sealer do the trick?

- Craig
    - Craig<br /><br />'04 Baja 342<br />'04 GTX SC<br />'98 GTXL<br />'95 750 ZXI

Yes, you can seal it up with any pliable sealer. The reason its leaking after removing the pump is, you broke the seal of the original sealer.

Scott

Comment

Scott,

I guess I'm confused because my pump never had sealer around the ring - it just pulled right out. I didn't put any on when I re-installed it, and frankly I don't see how water could leak in through the pump housing anyway, as the shoe is bolted in between it and the hull.

I'm thinking enough gasket sealer will cure any problem.

- Craig

[ August 18, 2002, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: cbeastwood ]

Comment

It sounds to me from all the water leaks that you are describing that the pump support plate to hull is missing the sealant behind it.
        When installing a pump support plate to the hull the factory uses a bunch of black "right stuff" sealant between the hull and the pump support plate. I have found several boats to be needing to be resealed at the support plate. The are about four or five big holes in the rear of the hull, besides the 4 mounting bolts that need to be sealed up when installing a pump support plate.
        Bill O'Neal WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

you should also replace the neopreme seal that sticks to the ride plate (shoe) for a proper seal.

i just use silicone unless someone wants the "original" sealer to be used when reinstalling the jet pump. a repair manual will show you what sealer needs to be used and where to put it. but if you don't have one, just ask.

you should have seen some sort of black looking rubber all around the jet pump and it should not have came off too easy. or at least i've never seen one come off easy. i bet someone had it off before. the only place it can leak from the pump is the through hull water fittings, but as long as they have some sealer around them you should be ok.

[img]graemlins/uts.gif[/img] you should also change the jet pump oil while you have it off and make sure it's sealed to the ride plate so you won't have any cavatation problems.
          cameron "da river rat"<br />3x pro runabout 720 engine blower!<br />(jetskianist~adictionist~modificationist)

Comment

Besides the water fitting and the bailer fittings, the boat can leak water at the pump plate through any of the holes the penetrate the hull behind the support plate if the sealant is compromised. Other places where water enters the hull are missing scoop grate bolts and driveshaft seals.

When a 1998 GTX cavitates badly, if it is not because of a bent impellor or bad wear ring, I look at the intake shoe as the probable culprit. It is very common for the need to reseal the shoe ( ramp-like plastic piece under the scoop grate and ride plate).
            Bill O'Neal WCM
            <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Cameron and Bill,

The black rubber 'gasket' looks to be between the hull and the pump support housing, not between the housing and the jet pump itself. I'm thinking that when the pump was unbolted and dislodged, that black rubber 'gasket' came unseated and is now letting some water in.

Last night I spread generous amounts of rubber gasket maker around the bolt holes on the inside of the hull, as well as the water fittings and speedo cable. I'll let it dry about a day and see what happens.

I also put rubber gasket maker around the outer pump bolts where they meet the pump support plate. I think this will be a decent stop-gap measure to get me through the rest of the season. Then in the fall I can tear it apart and replace that black 'gasket' properly. The boat's been apart most of the summer and I just want to ride the **** thing.

Does the rubber gasket maker around hte inner bolt holes sound like a good idea?

- Craig

[ August 21, 2002, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: cbeastwood ]

Comment

Hey, whatever works......

Why not either fill the hull with water and see where it runs out, or back it on the trailer into the water and see where it comes in ?

It is not leaking from the 4 pump mount bolts, as they go through a thick aluminum plate that is imbedded into the transoms fiberglass.

That "gasket" under the pump support plate isn't a gasket at all. It is "The Right Stuff" or Premetex (Loc-Tite) gasket maker.

When you remount your pump. Use some gasket maker around all three water fittings to seal them where they penetrate the hull.

The three fittings are plastic. Make sure they are not broken at the threads where they screw into the pump. Sometimes I find cracks in them at the first thread, usually on the larger one that feeds water to the motor.
                Bill O'Neal WCM

Comment

i am sorry if i said black gasket. i was talking about a foam like gasket that you stick against the ride plate where the pump sits up against. it is the same diameter as the pump.

the black stuff i was talking about is what bill said. it is in a squeeze cheeze like can with a nozzle that you push to the side to let some out and is quite pricy but is the best in my opinion. you want to put it where bill is saying to put it, all around the water fittings, bolt holes in the pump and pretty much all around the pump where it meets the hull/ride plate.

but if your ride plate bolt holes are leaking or your intake grate bolt holes are leaking then you wanna make sure you seal those off real good first!

the only way i can easily remove a ride plate is to remove the jet pump, all hoses and fittings, bolts, intake grate, everything to where the only thing left is the ride plate. stick a small bottle jack between the ride plate and the hull w/a small piece of wood between the hull and jack and start pumpin!!!!! cuz tha black stuff we are talkin about is some really good stuff!! and it sticks!!!! i would use it again to re-seal it.

hope this helps. :D
                  cameron "da river rat"<br />3x pro runabout 720 engine blower!<br />(jetskianist~adictionist~modificationist)

Comment

No, No No......

The bottle jack is not the way to remove a two piece plastic pump support plate in a 1998GTX.

That works for older models with one piece ride plate and pump supports. Not the new style stuff.
                    Bill O'Neal WCM

Comment

you are right, i am sorry! :(

Comment

Guys,

Thanks for your ideas.

The 98 GTX IS leaking from the two lower pump mounting bolts, as well as the engine drain tube mount and steering mount, which leads me to believe that I dislodged the glack sealer when I pulled the jet pump.

The rubber gasket sealer around the bolts seems to do the trick, or will when I complete the job. My first attack got rid of about half the leaks.

Luckily, the previous owner installed an automatic bilge pump, which takes care of the water when sitting; when riding, the water bails properly through the two bailers.

Thanks,

- Craig

Comment

Working...
                        X