97 SPX Exhaust Leak ??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 SPX Exhaust Leak ??????

I'd say you may not have the clamp on tight enough, or may have tweaked the gasket somewhat.

It is very easy to misalign the connection between the two pipes.
    Always assemble the clamp connection first, before you tighten the headpipe bolts or the stinger body mounting bolts or misalignment is probable.

Also, the book calls for you to either replace the copper gasket or anneal the old copper gasket to re-use it. But honestly, using high temp silicone and not annealing it usually works ok too. If it leaks, it is usually because the two pipes are not seated correctly.
    Bill O'Neal WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Brian
      Clamp is tight as I can get it without it breaking.

Bill
      You're probably right. Sounds like my pipe is misaligned.

I used a new copper gasket when the pipe was reassembled. Your post advised to anneal the copper gasket. Had to look that word up in Webster Dictionary. " Anneal - to heat or fix by heat"

When I disassemble the pipe should I heat the copper gasket with a torch? Annealing the gasket is to get it flat as possilbe? Shed some light on the annealing process.

Comment

Installed the SBT engine and I have an exhaust leak between the head pipe and stinger pipe. Leak occurs above 4500 RPms. I used Permatex Ultra Copper but still have a leak.

My question is what is the best way to reassemble the exhaust system so the leak will be fixed.

1. Should I connect the head pipe and stinger first and then attach pipe to mainfold and waterbox?

2. Re-install stinger pipe.

I took me a while to get the pipes lined up and get the clamp in place the first time. So, that may be the problem. I may not have applied enough Ultra Copper.

Any tips or adivce is appreciated.

Comment

Copper, when heated many times becomes hard and brittle, like most metals. Annealing (warming up to a hot tempature, then allowing it to cool slowly by itself) will stress relieve it and make it softer. Use a low flame acetlene torch or butane torch to heat it slowly.
          Bill O'Neal WCM
          <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Working...
          X