'94XP Rough Rough Idle - Plug Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '94XP Rough Rough Idle - Plug Pics

My XP has always sounded kind of odd at idle (1100 RPMS). Today I took it out for the first time since it has been winterized. Fresh BR8ES plugs, fresh gas, fresh battery, etc.

The ski fired right up and I rode it for a couple hours no problem. Mostly 1/2 throttle operation with only a few short top speed blasts. This was on a freshwater lake. When pulling the ski back into the dock the idle dropped to 1000, then 900, and it sounded real rough. The second I brought the RPMs up it was back to normal and ran fine.

So, why is the idle dropping? What should the idle be at?

The plugs look a bit rich, they were new. I had idled a ways before I shut it down.

[ August 26, 2002, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: Bryan Glynn ]
    '94XP - Beach House Sponsons, ride plate<br /><br />'99 GP1200 - Stock for now...

Couple of thoughts...........

The plugs look like the ski is running very rich which would explain why it is running rough at idle speed. Have you cut back plug wires on your ski - remove leads from plug cap and cut off 1/4" or so to get back to bright copper core. Put the plug caps back on a zip tie them. If you can lay your hands on a compression tester it will be worth checking compressions.

Comment

I just did a compression check. Front 144psi, rear 141psi. So they are within spec. I could try the plug wire trimming. It worked fine all day, it only acted up at the end
      '94XP - Beach House Sponsons, ride plate<br /><br />'99 GP1200 - Stock for now...

Comment

From the pictures, I seem to think that the problem is somewhat self-inflicted.....The threads are carboned and black, and the "crush gaskets" are not crushed properly. This indicates that the plugs were not torqued properly when replaced, this can result in exactly the performance troubles you are describing.
        Try new plugs gapped to 0,022" and properly torqued to 17 ft./lbs (without a torque wrench this is full seated on the gasket, with your fingers. then 3/4 of a turn), and see what occurs.
        John Kubiak
        Powersports Technical Training Professional
        Las Vegas, Nevada
        Sea-Doo Tech 13736
        PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
        PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
        NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
        Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

I do have a good torque wrench, I will try that before my next trip to the lake. I check the spark with a plug I had laying around and it did seem like one wasn't as strong as the other, but they were both decent. I did notice a bit of unburnt fuel/carbon around the plug base as if it was not tightened down properly. I was afraid of over torqing, but now that I have the specs I will use the wrench.

Thanks for the tip :D

p.s. What are the torque specs for my 99 GP1200?

[ August 25, 2002, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: MattFL ]

Comment

Try new plugs properly torqued to 17 ft./lbs (without a torque wrench this is full seated on the gasket, with your fingers. then 3/4 of a turn).
            John Kubiak
            Las Vegas, Nevada
            Sea-Doo Tech 13736

Comment

Wow John - you got good eyes. All I can tell from the pic. is that the plugs are black and sooty and his grass needs cutting :D

Comment

See my glasses? I wear bifocals, and when I take them off everything is blurry, like the spark plugs......so, I took off the glasses, and the plugs were in clear, sharp focus :D :D :D

[ August 26, 2002, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: John Kubiak ]
                John Kubiak
                Las Vegas, Nevada
                Sea-Doo Tech 13736

Comment

I just drank a few beers and looked at the photo again - now I can see the problem!!! [img]graemlins/cwm3.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by John Kubiak:
                    See my glasses? I wear bifocals, and when I take them off everything is blurry, like the spark plugs......so, I took off the glasses, and the plugs were in clear, sharp focus :D :D :D
                    Hehehehe. If that isn't the problem you should check for a leak in the exhaust that will for sure lower your idle speed and definatly make the ski run richer than usual.
                    _ _ _ _ _ <br />Toys:<br />1994 Sea-Doo XP w/ FPP

Comment

quote:
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Originally posted by John Kubiak:
                      See my glasses? I wear bifocals, and when I take them off everything is blurry, like the spark plugs......so, I took off the glasses, and the plugs were in clear, sharp focus
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hehehehe. If that isn't the problem you should check for a leak in the exhaust that will for sure lower your idle speed and definatly make the ski run richer than usual.

Why in the heck do people quote things? We can all read what was said just two lines above what you just posted.

I really think that quoting things like this is really annoying

[ August 28, 2002, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: John Kubiak ]
                      John Kubiak
                      Las Vegas, Nevada
                      Sea-Doo Tech 13736

Comment

hehehe, humor, man, humor. relax, you'll get it figured out pretty soon!
                        John Kubiak
                        Las Vegas, Nevada
                        Sea-Doo Tech 13736

Comment

Ok sorry man.

Take it easy,
                          Simon
                          _ _ _ _ _ <br />Toys:<br />1994 Sea-Doo XP w/ FPP

Comment

Working...
                          X