Kawasaki Ultra 300X Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kawasaki Ultra 300X Problems

I have a 2012 Ultra 300X and a 2013 Ultra 300X. I hear different stories that these skis have issues with pistons cracking, rings seizing, etc... What can I expect to encounter with these skis. I also read that low octane gas can hurt the engine. Will the low octane fuel hurt the engine or just make it run crappy?

Appreciate any advice and/or facts about these skis.

Thanks

Re: Kawasaki Ultra 300X Problems

There are some reports of those problems.
    We are not making that engine yet so we do not have a lot of information yet.
    I recently saw a 310X with a burned piston at 20 hours, but I don't know the cause, but I do know it had 93 octane fuel.
    Octane is a big issue on a high compression engine like these.
    They are made to run on a minimum of 90 Octane. Running lower octane can cause engine damage because of pre-ignition.

Comment

I appreciate this site and everyones help. I have a 2012 and 2013 stock Kawasaki Ultra 300Xs. I am getting mix info, not from this forum, from dealer tech and other sources, regarding compression testing and valve adjustments. Just looking for the correct info.
      First - when I do a compression test on each engine, stock motors remind you, on all 4 cylinders, what type of compression reading should I get? High , Low, average?

Second - between how many hours should the valves be adjusted? After break-in period should the valves be adjusted when the first service is do?

Here is the reason I ask the those 2 questions. I mentioned before that the 2012 has 35hrs. The 2013 has 34hrs. The 2012 compression as is follows, cylinder # 1 - 145, # 2 - 145, # 3 - 140, # 4 - 0. I pulled the valve cover off an checked the valve buckets in the cylinder head. With the cam lobe pushing the bucket down I can take my finger and swivel ALL the buckets except cylinder # 4, the bucket is to tight and will not swivel. With the cam lobe pointing up, I can, again, swivel ALL the buckets except cylinder # 4 again it is to tight. No matter where the cam is position the buckets are tight. The same scenario with the 2013 except it is cylinder # 1 - 0. The other cylinders 2, 3, 4 cylinders have about 150 compression. If the valve is not adjusted correctly, would that cause the valve not to close and the cylinder have no compression? There is no water in the oil. Should I try having the valves adjusted and see what happens?

Originally posted by SBT-Tech 1 View Post
      There are some reports of those problems.
      We are not making that engine yet so we do not have a lot of information yet.
      I recently saw a 310X with a burned piston at 20 hours, but I don't know the cause, but I do know it had 93 octane fuel.
      Octane is a big issue on a high compression engine like these.
      They are made to run on a minimum of 90 Octane. Running lower octane can cause engine damage because of pre-ignition.

Comment

Sorry for not responding soon I just saw this.
        Check valve operation while turning engine over with plugs out.
        I fear you have a bent valve.

Comment

Okay
          Thanks for the response. Looks like a cylinder head repair, unfortunately.

Originally posted by SBT-Tech 1 View Post
          Sorry for not responding soon I just saw this.
          Check valve operation while turning engine over with plugs out.
          I fear you have a bent valve.

Comment

Working...
          X