Testing 1997 Wave Venture CDI Resistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing 1997 Wave Venture CDI Resistance

Using a digital multi meter testing resistance on the blue wire to the black wire. Alot of other numbers seem to be out. The number pops up then goes back to 1...sometimes. It is all over the place. I have tested the charge coil, lighting coil, pulser coil etc and everything checks out ok. I already replaced the rectifier. The engine runs perfect sometimes and other times it sputters due to simultaneous loss of spark on all 3 cyls. I checked all the grounds and feel like it may be time to bite the bullet and buy a new CDI. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Re: Testing 1997 Wave Venture CDI Resistance

I'm having a very similar issue with my 97 wv 1100. Checked charge coil, pickup coils, sparkplug coils and wires/boots as well as temp sensor, everything's checked out and replaced the charge and lighting coil and still same results. Mine will run on 2 cylinders though after 20 mins of riding good on all 3, then loads up and won't go above 30 mph. Cdi is next on my list, too. But like you said trying to read ohms I'm getting really weird readings. Did you ever get it figured out?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Comment

Re: Testing 1997 Wave Venture CDI Resistance

Hi...the cdi stands for capacitor discharge ignition. the reading you got on your cdi sounds normal. what is the problem you are having? have you tried to start it with the kill switch unhooked from the circuit? this is a common problem, (a bad or stuck kill switch) also check your plug wire for resistance, it should be very low reading on the ohm scale. your kill switch should be wired to the black wire from the magneto , or grounded to the frame, & the other lead from the kill switch should be hooked to the blue wire from the magneto.

Comment

Working...
      X