SBT Piston defect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBT Piston defect?

Long story short i bought a gp800r from a guy with a blown motor. He stated that he had an sbt engine installed a while back and it blew up. Now i have no idea why he did not go thru you guys to have it replaced but currently it is outside of warranty. I tor the engine down my self and found the front piston had the top ring completely gone and the pto piston had a huge chunk of the top ring missing. Upon further inspection it appears that both lower rings have spun under the ring land stop pins. I assume the top rings did the same and caught a port inside the cylinder which is what destroyed them. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170621_185919.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.05 MB
ID:	256581Click image for larger version

Name:	20170621_185925.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	256582

To me it looks like the pistons may be defective. It looks like the ring stop pins(locator pins?) Are not drilled low enough into the ring land to prevent the rings from spinning under them. Every 2 stroke piston i have seen in person and on google images has had the pin drilled where at least the radius of the pin is in the ring land.

I was intending to purchase a new topend from you guys but this pin placement worries me. Could you give me any feedback?

Re: SBT Piston defect?

That is unusual.
    Do you have the engine serial number? If this is our engine and piston we want to address the situation.
    Serial number is on a tag attached to the engine.
    Can you contact us by telephone so that we can discuss this?
    1-877-330-0231 ask for the tech.

Comment

I do have the serial number and will give you guys a call this afternoon. Thanks for the response.

Comment

It did take a 2nd phone call to speak with a manager before a reasonable resolution was meet. Everyone involved in resolving this issue were polite and professional.

Comment

Working...
        X