2003 stxr1200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 stxr1200

I've owned a 2003 stxr 1200 since new.mostly used in fresh water.88 hr's.always full synthetic oil.what can I expect for engine life.
    Next question what maintance I neen to do for 88 hr's.Anything I can do to eliminate a problem. I have replaced spark plugs occasionally.I had a pump bearing failure at 80 ht's.installed replacemement pump assy.
    just replaced all oil feed lines.What about fuel filter ?. Other than what I have listed nothing else.It's always been garage kept. Runs perfect.
    Looks like new.Most riding done
    on a river cruising around 40 mph.Short bursts to 60 mph for about 1 min.Always with one pasenger.
    , I'd like to keep for another 10 years. All my friends have new 4 stroks,too heavy and always breaking down.I will say they get better milege. Oh I forgot replaced fuel tank with 2005 that was larger.
    Any advise would be appreciated,
    Ken. Sarasota fl.
    Last edited by kendeepdiver; 06-26-2017, 02:32 PM.

Re: 2003 stxr1200

You have a nice ski. I love the STXR's. Glad to see you went after the oil lines. That's always a issue with the 2 strokes if not maintained. That ski is made to run. You can run in the 5500 range, just fluctuate the rpm a little, and give shots of full throttle now and then.
    I would put a water filter on the cooling inlet line to keep sand out of the engine, and flush it regularly. Lube all the pivot points you can reach and disconnect with marine grease, and spray the ones you can't reach with a good silicone lube (be sure to shake the can well before using, personal experience).
    Use ethanol free fuel when possible, and when not, use a good marine ethanol fuel treatment. When storing, put some Startron in the last tank of fuel, and run it for about 15 min on the water, and refill with 92 or better octane. Startron is a enzyme, and claims up to two years of stabilization. DO NOT USE Seafoam as a stabilizer. It is designed as a engine cleaner.
    I would say you should be able to get 150-200 hours out of the engine with proper maint, as long as it doesn't overheat, run lean, or get starved of oil. Always a good idea to do a compression check at the beginning and end of the season to see how things are.

Comment

Working...
    X