951 Rod Bearing Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 951 Rod Bearing Failure

Hey everyone, first post on here, I've been working on skis for a few years now and I am just looking for a little confirmation on what I suspect happened here. I sold a 2000 gtx which I had rebuilt the motor on (1mm. overbore, carbs cleaned and jetted, fuel lines replaced, wash was good maybe a touch rich, plugs looked good) to a guy and he rode it 3 times and called me back and said it wont start its cranking slow. He also said it just quit on him while he was in the lake riding. Compression check showed 60 psi. on rear (PTO Cylinder) so I though it may have leaned out or snagged a ring. I agreed I would check it out and we would work out on pricing. Upon tear down I find the rear rod bearing was shot. I also noticed a thin layer of grey paste on piston and cylinder head chamber. It is my belief that the ski ingested water causing the rear bearing to go. Does this sound like I am on the right path? I have agreed to split cost of rebuilding motor and no charge for labor. Ski was sold as is but I would like to keep a good reputation as i sell a few skis a year that i buy and repair. I am working on getting a picture but it is pretty obvious. Lower rod is tight on crank and discolored, also one of the thrust washers is gone..I found a few pieces.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170624_094503.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	3.21 MB
ID:	256583
Working...
X