Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About to pull my hair out!!!!!!!!!

Heres the problem.

Put my new SBT engine and it fired right up and ran fine for 5-6 miniutes on the hose. It seemed a little hot, but i took that as because it was under a full load of water.

Anyways, i have the lows at about 1 1/2 out, highs 0 out.....not sure where the idle is. I confirmed spark, the plugs are sparking. Went to tyry and start it again and it won't. Went as far as dumping known good fuel in the cylinders(thinking maybe my gas was bad). Well, wouldn't even kick with good gas,

Any ideas?

What ski? What happened to the original engine and what was changed or repaired?
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

It's my 97 XP, the old engine was damaged to to an oil failure.....new oil pump now. Nothing was changed or repaired, just bolted all the existing goodies back up.

This is so odd, you would think if you have spark then dump fuel in the cylinders, it would at least kick.

Could a weak battery be to blame, evn though it seems to be cranking just fine.

Comment

A weak battery will definitely cause the no start condition you are describing! 1997 XP's are the most demanding of all Sea-Doo's for batteries. This is due to the 787 engine and the extremely long battery cables, as the battery is in the rear of the ski and the electrical box is way up in the front.
        John Kubiak
        Powersports Technical Training Professional
        Las Vegas, Nevada
        Sea-Doo Tech 13736
        PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
        PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
        NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
        Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Check your voltage at the battery both before and during cranking.

Comment

Thanks for the replys. I got it on the charger, gonna leave it on all night........it goes to float once fully charged.

I'll try again in the morning and if that don't work i will check my voltage. If that checks out and still won't start i will post back again.

Thanks again

Comment

One last thingi forgot to mentio.....sorry. I had ir running good for 5-6 miniutes, reved and idled fine.

Ok, the second time i did get started, it would idle but not take the throttle, stalled out?

Help please.....lol

Comment

That is usually a carb setting problem, was it loading up or leaning out?

Comment

i pulled the plugs several times, it had oil, but no smell of gas.

I checked the oil pump, it's right on as far as adjustments, throttle and choke are adjusted right.

i pulled the plugs and cranked it.......no gas or oil spewing out, so i know it's not an inner crank seal.

Could my accelerator pump taken a crap?

Comment

It's possible - take the airbox off and look.

Comment

Nah that don't make since, my bad......cause i dumped fuel right in the cylinders and it wouldn't kick. I'll figure it out, i hope......else that 5 gallon can of gas is getting dumped on it and it's gonna be the 4th of July early......LOL

Comment

one last ?.......Could the needles and seats be leaking, causing it to idle but not take the throttle?

Comment

It would exhibit the same symptoms hot or cold, it wouldn't change.

Comment

Did you use new plugs? I had the same problem last weekend with my GTXL. I must have cranked it for 5 minutes. The plugs were wet with oil from winter storage. I put in new plugs and it started within 30 seconds. Maybe you got too much oil on your plugs and they weren't sparking?
                            - Craig<br /><br />'04 Baja 342<br />'04 GTX SC<br />'98 GTXL<br />'95 750 ZXI

Comment

dump question, but are you sure your fuel switch is on. check external fuel filter and see if there is gas in it. also try it in the reserve setting.

Comment

Working...
                              X