new motor/won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks John...
    Couple more things though. I had the carbs rebuilt a week prior to the motor seizing. I think it seized to to massive water ingestion, someone pulled my drain plugs one night and the motor sat in water. Anyways i took it to a dealer and had the rotory valve timing checked and it is fine, and it's getting fuel. I found out from him the part that bolts to the flywheel, magnito or stator housing has to be lined up with the little hole on the flywheel...he said something about the two magnets on that part are like triggers for the ignition timing....is this true, could this be my problem? Nd how can i clear the ehaust of fuel, or will it clear after it starts?

[ August 29, 2002, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: stevepaulus ]

Comment

Yes, the magneto cup must be properly aligned with the flywheel, otherwise your ignition timing is off. There is a drill hole though your flywheel that must line up with he edge of one of the trigger magnets on the magneto cup.

This however has NOTHING to do with any oil coming out a plug hole.

Comment

Thanks Bryan...
        Any ideas as why the oil is coming out the cylinders. i have been cranking it over without the plugs in and it is getting better, less oil. Could it have just been over lubed at the factory or should i be looking at a seal or something? And i'm sorry for cross posting the threads, i am just getting frustrated with this thing...Thanks again!!!!

[ August 30, 2002, 07:15 AM: Message edited by: stevepaulus ]

Comment

I bet it was just getting a lot of extra fuel and oil as you were cranking but not starting.

Comment

Thanks Bryan for all your help...already re-alligned the magneto cup and re assembled ..gonna try to start it after work, let you know what happens.

Comment

Well Bryan, i got the engine going and it idles great, gave it about 20% throttle and it still ran fine....note, i did it in the driveway hooked to a garden hose...let it idle for a few and no problems, but the thing is smoking like a chimney...runs great but smokes bad. all the oil on the number 2 plug is gone now, but i pulled my exhaust back apart and it was full of oil, and once again still smoking. Could this just be from a build up because i had it mis timed at the flywheel and the oil just has to work it's way out, because it seems to run fine. And another thing, someone told me there are marks on the oil pump i have to line up, BUT, i did not mess with any of the settings when i tore the motor down. Any ideas?Coulkd it be smoking also because i have the break in oil in the fuel and it's shooting oil from the pump?

Comment

Sounds good - take it out and get at least a tank through it before judging the smoke.

Comment

another thing bryan, the smoke is filling up the hull...note i have my flame arrestor and air box assembly off...i can't seem to tell if there is an exhaust leak or not...did not mess with any of that when doing this motor other than up by the motor. any ideas on that? Does this sound like an ehaust leak or is it just because the flame arrestor and air box assembly is off? Will this smoke vent if i take it out, because seriously there is alot of smoke. Should i be worried about a fire or anything?

[ August 30, 2002, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: stevepaulus ]

Comment

If you have smoke in the hull, you have an exhaust leak that you need to find.

Comment

It didn't do this prior to installing the new motor, and the only ehaust i messed with was on the motor, and i did not notice any leaks there. It seems to be coming from the back of the boat...what should i check back there, and could there be another thing causing this?

Comment

Check all the couplers - idle it and look for the leak.

Comment

Thanks Bryan...one more question and i will leave you alone...could i have caused an exhaust leak when i had it mis-timed and it backfired really bad?

Comment

Sure. The coupler can easily pop off.

Comment

Hey Bryan, i found the exhaust leak...not sure how to name the parts so i will explain...there is a rubber hose that goes from the back pipe out to the back..kinda wraps aroud the VTS...ANYWAYS BIG HOLE IN IT. could put 4 fingers in it...probably caused byt the backfire, you think? can a get a hose similiar from the local auto parts store or does it have to be from a sea doo dealer, and what is the likelyhood of them stocking this part? Sorry for bugging you, i just want to ride the thing..been looking at it in the driveway for 2 months..thanks again for all your help

[ August 31, 2002, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: stevepaulus ]

Comment

It is a $38.50 pre-formed hose from any Sea Doo dealership parts department. I have one on order now. It usually takes three days to get it from Sea Doo.
                                Bill O'Neal WCM
                                <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Working...
                                X