new motor/won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new motor/won't start

Just finished installing my new motor from sbt, but it won't start cranks great other than i keep heating my starter up and killing the battery. It's getting fire. I took the plugs out and noticed the number 2 cylinder is pumping oil out it when i crank it. Called local shop and they said it was probably over fogged, because the plugs are soaked with oil. I tried starting fluid and it fired, but i heard starting fluid is bad for these engines, by the way it's a 97 SEA-DOO XP. What can i do to get this thing running without using starting fluid, or is it ok to? By the way when it fired smoke came out the carb throats.HELP!!!Also, someone told me it could be the battery, they said they have seen them crank all day but not start the machine, is this true or a line of BS.

[ August 28, 2002, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: stevepaulus ]

How did you time the rotary valve?

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan Glynn:
      How did you time the rotary valve?
      I had it timed at a local sea-doo dealer.

Comment

Well I'd venture it may be mis-timed if you saw a backfire through the intake.

So, did YOU install the engine, or did a shop do it?

Comment

Well I'd venture it may be mis-timed if you saw a backfire through the intake.

So, did YOU install the engine, or did a shop do it?
          I installed it, could the smoke just be the starting fluid burning off, maybe i sprayed too much?

Comment

It's possible.

Try some pre-mix gas right down the plug holes - just a table spoon in each. It should burp over for a couple seconds.

Make sure you have primed your fuel system. Remove the return line from the carb and blow through it, with the switch ON. When you see fuel coming out the carb, replace the line.

Comment

It's possible.

Try some pre-mix gas right down the plug holes - just a table spoon in each. It should burp over for a couple seconds.

Make sure you have primed your fuel system. Remove the return line from the carb and blow through it, with the switch ON. When you see fuel coming out the carb, replace the line.
              Thanks alot . But one more thing, which one is the return line and where do i disconnect it. I know nothing about thesethings, only cars..and carbs is not one thing i am good at.

Thanks again

Comment

The line going directly back to the tank from the carbs. Not the one coming from the filter.

Comment

The line going directly back to the tank from the carbs. Not the one coming from the filter.
                  thanks alot man, you have helped me alot...hate to bother you again, but i am lost and i have 7000.00 invested and i rode it once and had to put a motor in it. Starting it the starter seems like it is jamming in the flywheel, not all the time just when i turn it over alot...starter and battery were tested and they were fine....could it be just from over heating the starter and a low battery. When it does it it makes a humming noise, like their is juice going to it but not turning the flywheel. Any ideas of other possibilities if it is not what i said?

Comment

It makes it kind of hard to read when you quote everything - just hit the reply button.

Try this thread.

Comment

Thanks Bryan. Bill oneal said it's a disaster to put a new engine in without checking the carbs. I had the carbs rebuilt 2 weeks before the engine seized. It was sank, could the carbs be screwed up again? And it ran for a week after it was sank

[ August 29, 2002, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: stevepaulus ]

Comment

Possibly, possibly not. Try my suggestions first.

Comment

Why did the engine seize in the first place?
                          John Kubiak
                          Powersports Technical Training Professional
                          Las Vegas, Nevada
                          Sea-Doo Tech 13736
                          PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
                          PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
                          NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
                          Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Not sure John. I took it to a lcal dealer and they diagnosed it with a seizing crank. After that i took the cylinder head cover off and noticed chip marks on the number one piston, and it was clean..so i figure maybe something broke and got up in there. why was it clean though? Anyways, i have a new motor and i am still trying to get it started. I tried fogging oil, like my local dealer tol me and it backfired so loud it scared the crap out of me. tried to start it again without any help of fogging oil and it started to fire but backfired again, once again so loud..like a shotgun going off next to me. Any ideas if it is not the timing? It's getting fuel, i primed the fuel system like Bryan told me. I am afraid if i try to start it again i am going to blow a hole in a piston.

Thanks Guys!!!

Comment

1. The exhaust is loaded with fuel, and it will backfire, until thiis is cleared.

2 Crankshafts do not seize, pistons do; and by your descriptions, the old engine detonated due to fuel starvation. You really need to have the carbs gone through by someone who knows what to do with them.

3. You need to re-check the rotary valve timing.
                              John Kubiak
                              Powersports Technical Training Professional
                              Las Vegas, Nevada
                              Sea-Doo Tech 13736
                              PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
                              PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
                              NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
                              Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
                              X