Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 XP Rear Drive Shaft

G'day Gang

I have the rear drive shaft (and mount) out of my 97 XP, its still attached to the center bearing mount (where the seat shock bolts).

Question how do I get the fingered coupler of the rear drive shaft so I can pull the drive shaft out of the bearing (mount), it appears to be on a spline setup, I tried hitting it gently but no movement so I thought I should ask before I wreck it.

I'm trying to do a drive train alignment. Yes I have the alignment shaft.

Thanks. :D

Typically, we do not remove the rear mount from the ski, as the driveshaft slides through the rear mount/bearing carrier and leaves the splined coupler laying in the hull. If yours won't slide through, it is beacuse the bearing has rusted itself to the shaft.

You might try soaking it with penetrating oil, then tap the shaft through by supporting the bearing carrier in a vise, then using a block of wood on the end of the shaft, give it a few whacks with a mallet. If you have a press, use it.
    Bill O'Neal WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

The drive shaft moves forward and back within the housing, I just cant get it out because the fingered coupler wont come off. I assume from your reply it should just slide off, I will try a bit of heat on it.

Thanks Bill.

Comment

Dont worry dudes, I disasembled the bearing part and it allowed the shaft and coupler to slide out the back and I was able to get a puller on it, it was barely holding there but just enough to stop it moving the first little bit.

Comment

Working...
        X