95 900zxi carb setting with Boyesen Reeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 900zxi carb setting with Boyesen Reeds

• I have a 95 900zxi and I just replaced the crank seals, rebuilt the carbs, and installed boyesen reeds.. my question is .. factory setting on the carbs is supposed to be L=1 1/4 turns out and H=3/4 turn out.. my settings running factory reeds was set to L=1 1/2 turns out and H=1 turn out.. Now running factory reeds I always had a little oil coming out the exhaust(even running it on the hose) and it ran Great for 18 yrs like that.. boyesen says to go out aprx 1/4 turn to 1/2 turn on both settings. when I reassembled the jet ski, I left my settings how I found them L=1 1/2 turns out and H=1 turn out to match what boyesen says. Problem is that now I have no oil coming out of the exhaust (I am injecting and also pre-mix 50:1 in the tank for the first tank until all the air bubbles (if there are any) are out of the injection system (just to be safe)).. At aprx 7000 rpm's it seems like it is bogging out but if I keep revving it, it clears out.. So I am not sure what to make of it.. Do I open up the carbs another 1/4 turn just to be safe or leave it like it is... any helpl with this would be greatly appreciated.

Re: 95 900zxi carb setting with Boyesen Reeds

My first question would be why does Boyesen recommend a change to the low and high adjusters?
    If the only changes you made were crank seals, carbs, and reeds I do not know why there would be a change in amount of oil coming out of exhaust. If you are running both oil pump and premix there should be more oil. In any case I would back off of the oil because you can only get so much volume of oil gas and air moving through the intake system and if you are adding more oil to it then there is less space for the gas and air. In any case an issue at 7000 RPM's is most likely a High speed adjustment issue. High speed adjuster come into play from 3/4 throttle to wide open throttle.

Comment

Might want to check with them again. normally they say that you might have to lean out a little using thier reeds. Did you get the power reeds or pro series ?
      I'd say you are a little rich on the top end as you are pulling through it.
      I would set the carbs to factory settings and see how it performs. I put a set of pro series on my 750ss, left the carb at factory settings and was extremely happy with them.
      You shouldn't be getting oil out the exhaust at any time. That means you are running way rich on oil and it is not burning it all off. The plugs should indicate this by being oily black. I'm assuming you had the injection system apart. Did you bleed the oil pump ? I have found that a large syringe from a feed store or pet supply store works well to fill the injection lines. Just plug one end with your finger, after filling and install the line on the pump.
      If your wanting extra protection against oil line failure, I would only add 1/2oz per gallon to the tank.

Comment

Originally posted by bdurisin@gmail.com View Post

• I have a 95 900zxi and I just replaced the crank seals, rebuilt the carbs, and installed boyesen reeds.. my question is .. factory setting on the carbs is supposed to be L=1 1/4 turns out and H=3/4 turn out.. my settings running factory reeds was set to L=1 1/2 turns out and H=1 turn out.. Now running factory reeds I always had a little oil coming out the exhaust(even running it on the hose) and it ran Great for 18 yrs like that.. boyesen says to go out aprx 1/4 turn to 1/2 turn on both settings. when I reassembled the jet ski, I left my settings how I found them L=1 1/2 turns out and H=1 turn out to match what boyesen says. Problem is that now I have no oil coming out of the exhaust (I am injecting and also pre-mix 50:1 in the tank for the first tank until all the air bubbles (if there are any) are out of the injection system (just to be safe)).. At aprx 7000 rpm's it seems like it is bogging out but if I keep revving it, it clears out.. So I am not sure what to make of it.. Do I open up the carbs another 1/4 turn just to be safe or leave it like it is... any helpl with this would be greatly appreciated.
        Might want to check with them again. normally they say that you might have to lean out a little using thier reeds. Did you get the power reeds or pro series ?
        I'd say you are a little rich on the top end as you are pulling through it.
        I would set the carbs to factory settings and see how it performs. I put a set of pro series on my 750ss, left the carb at factory settings and was extremely happy with them.
        You shouldn't be getting oil out the exhaust at any time. That means you are running way rich on oil and it is not burning it all off. The plugs should indicate this by being oily black. I'm assuming you had the injection system apart. Did you bleed the oil pump ? I have found that a large syringe from a feed store or pet supply store works well to fill the injection lines. Just plug one end with your finger, after filling and install the line on the pump.
        If your wanting extra protection against oil line failure, I would only add 1/2oz per gallon to the tank.

Comment

Working...
        X