2004 xl to 800 top end rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 xl to 800 top end rebuild

Hi, I need some advice. I just bought this waverunner and was told it had a rebuilt sbt motor 2 years ago and hadn't been used this year. It started but it was in a warehouse with no water available to run it for more than a few seconds.
    I got it home and did a compression test and found rear cylinder 115 lbs , front 20 psi. , so I pulled the head and found a big gouge in the cylinder, pulled the cylinder and found the wrist pin had slid out and destroyed the cylinder, the top ring is gone as well as the snap ring that should have held the wrist pin. The rear one that had 155 lbs has the top ring broken about in half. the tops of both pistons are beat up pretty bad as well as the head. Before I buy the top end kit with the cylinders my concern is where did all the missing metal go?
    From what I can see in the lower end it looks clean, I put a magnet in there as far as I could and came out clean every time. Is there any chance it was blown out the exhaust ? Not sure how to proceed.
    Thanks

Re: 2004 xl to 800 top end rebuild

You could roll the dice and build the top end.
    But, if it were my engine I would split the cases and clean everything out of the crankcase that way.
    BTW, Any debris would most likely be aluminum and not magnetic.

Comment

Thanks for the fast reply, I guess I've got some work to do

Comment

Originally posted by SBT-Tech 1 View Post
        You could roll the dice and build the top end.
        But, if it were my engine I would split the cases and clean everything out of the crankcase that way.
        BTW, Any debris would most likely be aluminum and not magnetic.
        I think I'll take your advice and split the cases and clean it up. I'll be getting the top end gaskets with the top end kit, could you tell me what gaskets I'll need to split the cases?
        Sorry to be a pita, this is the first time I've done this job & I want to make sure I get everything I need.
        Thanks

Comment

How did that go for you Bgpicker? I think I have to do the same on mine unfortunately.
          d

Comment

Working...
          X