06 Yamaha wave runner fx cruiser high output starting issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 06 Yamaha wave runner fx cruiser high output starting issues

I have an 06 Yamaha wave runner fx cruiser high output. It's been well maintained and has low hours (120 maybe?). Over the past few seasons I have been frustrated with starting issues. Upon unlocking he ski and pushing the start button, it would make a clicking/vibrating sound coming from the electrical box and would not start. At first it would happen once or twice but would eventually start. Then It wouldn't start at all. I took it to a shop to have it looked at as my job prevents me from having much time to work on the ski. I thought it was the relay because i could feel it clicking. The shop disagreed and They said after putting a load test they determined I needed a new battery and the one I had was defective despite being only a year old if that. This seemed to fix the problem for about a month and then it happened again. The shop (which is also a dealer) tried lying saying that I needed a full maintenance for $650 (Oil change, air filter, etc) not knowing that I had taken care of all that myself. I walked away and I replaced the relay myself the next season and it worked all season long. The following season it happened again. I took it to a guy that works on skis all the time on the side and after doing some electrical tests he found that it wasn't getting enough ground. He ran a new ground wire from starter to battery and everything worked great for 2 seasons but now the problem is back. I am pretty mechanically handy but not an expert on engines and I can do a little electrical but I take it in baby steps as it is not my strong point. (I am a master plumber so I have overall good knowledge and know how to use tools etc). Anyone else experience similar issues??

Re: 06 Yamaha wave runner fx cruiser high output starting issues

Relays go out a lot some can last a decade or more some a few years I seen them last as long as 1 month.. You got to start all over on troubleshooting

. Check your battery voltage and connections clean any corrosion "always use a battery tender, especially on cheap conventional acid batteries .. they all need a good charge every few weeks" I cant stress enough to use a tender if you don't ride ever 2-3 weeks .. Make sure battery is fully charged and do a load test on the batt. If battery test good hit the start button . do you just here a click click click? take out the electrical box. 4 bolts. cut a few zip ties to get more room to work on box unscrew all of the bolts to gain access to the inside of box where relay is located.

Take off the batt / starter cable to relay cover on the front electrical box. and carefully jump the 2 terminals with the relay still hooked up with lanyard out " ski should turn over" "this also is a good way to get back to the dock if your relay fails but lanyard must be in and you must be careful" then you for sure know you have a good starter and plenty of batt juice. some times a bad starter or failing starter can back feed back to the relay and cause relay like issues and ever kill them.

check the relay connections the 2 wires from the relay to the wire harness. they have a quick disconnect terminal. some times the connection is not good enough to make the relay work 100%.aftermarket relays from my experience don't have the perfect size ends and don't fit properly. Most times I cut them off and twist wire, solder then tape and heat shrink. A super good twisted wire good quality electrical tape and heat shrink will be adequate.

you can test the relay with a voltage meter on the continuity setting when you touch your red and black probe togather you should get 0. " that makes sure your meter is reading right"unhook the starter and power wire from relay and hit you start button if you here a click it don't mean its making a connection or good enough your meter should read 0 with button held. if it does your starter should engage when hooked up if not touch the two wires togather " power and starter" if it turns over the relay is bad even if test show good so replace it.if you touch the starter wire and power wire to gather and get a arc and no engagement of starter you probley have a bad starter or you have a bad ground or starter side power wire/terminal issue.

in my experience I get more bad starters than grounds or wire issues.if your not getting not clicking from relay check voltage from the two wires going to relay. I will edit this later for wire colors but you have 2 wires one always ground and one that is the activation power from the button when press check for good voltage if no voltage check ground if good ground check fuse/power/lanyard switch.

Relays are so common to fail vs other power issues that prevent them from engaging. when I here click click click I just replace the relay and don't bother with all the pre test but if I don't here a click I still replace the relay but check the wires while doing it just to be safe. I also always touch the starter and power wire to make sure starter is good before doing all the test and work "relays and starters can go bad togather" I hope this is of some help to others

Don't forget there is a 3rd terminal for system power on the on starter relay battery power wire side make sure corrosion is clean and it is hooked up. I also don't use Loctite on the starter relay bolts/nuts i use lock washers and or nylon nuts
    Last edited by jetskiga@gmail.com; 04-16-2018, 09:53 AM.
    5 year Full Time PWC only Head Mechanic for Central Georgia Power Sports in Macon Georgia .
    Here to Help and Learn PM on the forum for any help. VIST https://www.cgapowersports.com

Comment

Working...
    X