1995 Yamaha venture questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 Yamaha venture questions

Hello all and thanks in advance for any help. I just purchased a 95 Yamaha venture and trailor. Ski looks to be in really good shape considering age. It wouldn’t crank so I got it and trailer for pretty decent price ($700). I knew it was getting fire and I could pour gas in spark plug hole and it would crank. The guy said it ran great last season. I figure it was a fuel/carb/fuel pump problem. I took carb off and started cleaning it out. Fuel filters looked fine. It’s the twin carb and when I got to the needle part. One was stuck closed so tight I had to get needle nose to remove. The other was stuck pretty tight but broke loose when I pressed lever arm. I’m hoping this was my problem. They were closed and sealed not letting fuel in. I’m planning to clean them real good and reinstall. All gaskets and diaphragms looked great. Could this be the problem? Is there anything else a novice like me should check before I reinstall?
    I ran it long enough to see there was only 160 hours on the dash system and it worked. This sounds like pretty low hours for this year model.

thanks for any help!

Re: 1995 Yamaha venture questions

if they where really stuck look at the needle and seats for ware .check the pop off. you may consider new seat and needle along with complete rebuild kit . read how to rebuild and test these carbs look up specs and go by the book. a lot more things involved with jetski carbs than people thank. I never reuse any of the old gaskets sometimes I reuse the same spring and lever just depends on a few factors like wear and pop off pressure. be very meticulous and careful when rebuilding and use Loctite and torqe things down good and evenly.
    I like to brake clean compres air clean then ultra sonic with purple power followed by brake clean and compress air. stick the stray and blowgun tip in them holes any blow out everything a lot passages. get some hard wire and poke thru all your elbow fittings make sure you have no junk hidden. carefully push thin wire thru the jets and blow them out ma ke sure to remove them when cleaning so you can inspect the openings.

tips hold onto the jets when compress air and clean with straw they will fly away
    I use brake clean brake best because it is harsh and drys quick without residues vs most carb cleaners seem to be leaving and brake cleaners a film behind kinda oily and since it wont dry up right away I fill its not doing a great job cleaning. don't use it on rubber or try to redneck clean your carbs with it.
    if using ultrasonic keep heat on ultrasonic down so plastic parts don't swell and immediately wash parts with water after you pull them out real good" keeps the oxygen mixed with chimical from turning aluminum dark colors and creating a chalky residue if using harsh products like what I use 60/40 - 50/50 purple power/water.. make sure brake clean and compress air again to insure all water and contaminates or out

use compress air after ever cleaning stick a good air blow gun with rubber tip works best and when cleaning stick the straw into ever hole in ever side the best you can ware safety glasses and gloves keep everything clean. there are many methods of cleaning and chemicals and procedures out there. educate our self with different ways

and I have on rare occasion have 2 or 3 units that even a carb clean 3 times and rebuild 3 times with 3 different kits can still not work right. put on a used old carb and wang wang runs perfect rebuild the same one to make like new and works great just the same.

sometimes working on a 2 strokes makes me fill like im going to have a 2 stroke some carbs just got to be thrown in the trash. not ever micrometer of a carbs internals can be completely clean or get clean even with a $3.000.00 machine with the best chemicals. single carbs or ok for me now days but its the doubles and triples that really pee me off
    Last edited by jetskiga@gmail.com; 04-16-2018, 06:09 PM.
    5 year Full Time PWC only Head Mechanic for Central Georgia Power Sports in Macon Georgia .
    Here to Help and Learn PM on the forum for any help. VIST https://www.cgapowersports.com

Comment

Thanks! That’s awesome advice! After getting the needle unstuck I cleaned everything good with carb cleaner before I read your post. Then I put Wd-40 on the needle and seat and worked it back and forth several times and it seemed fine. I put it back together and it fired right up. I think that was my main problem, but I did notice that the diaphragm pump (piece that presses down on the lever arm to raise the needle) was beginning to harden up. I think replacing that would be a good idea for sure. This carb was rebuilt at the beginning of 2017 but it has sat for almost 2 years. I think the majority of it is in good condition. Thibk I can get by with just replacing those two diaphram pumps? Thanks again!
      Last edited by georgia088; 04-18-2018, 11:04 AM.

Comment

So, I would like to change to pre-mix too. I have read about taking pump off and putting plate over where the body goes. Why can't you just run the outlet lines back into the oil tank (reservoir). Keep oil in the tank and let it cycle? This may be stupid, but it makes sense to me. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X