2000 RX shuts off when I gun it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 RX shuts off when I gun it

My 2000 RX shuts off when I accelerate hard from take off. If I accerate slowly upto 4000 rpms it works fine. Can anyone tell what it can be, how to fix it, and what parts I'm going to need to fix it.
    Thanks,
    N G

Sounds like a clogged low speed jet inducing a lean condition. Clean your carbs.

Comment

Possibly a weak spark. Try a new set of plugs properly gapped at 0.5mm and not straight out of the box. Also try the old favourite of trimming back the plug leads. Plenty of threads here to advise how to do it.

BTW when you say it shuts off does it die completely or just bog down?

Comment

I have cleaned the carbs with no success. I have also changed the spark plugs properly gapped, without any success. It was running fine about 6 months ago, and hasn't been the same since. When I hit full throttle rapidly while under 4000 rpms, it shuts-off completely. If I bring up the rpms slowly (until I hit 4000rpms), it runs fine. I really need help with this issue, I am selling the ski, and I have a buyer, I want to be able to sell without any problems.
        Thanks,
        N G

Comment

Those carbs have an accellerator nozzel in each carb throat. When you squeeze the throttle, it is susposed to squirt gasoline down the carb. If it doesn't, it hesitates or dies.

[ September 14, 2003, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: Bill O'Neal ]
          Bill O'Neal WCM
          <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Working...
          X