Yamaha SUV carb issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha SUV carb issues

So bought SUV 1200 in pieces because he fried motor in 2013 so had it bored 50 over and put back together and rebuilt carbs carb jetting was not factory but they all cleaned up nice and did pop off test which they were all at 50 to 55 tried to fire up with no start until I put my hands over carbs closing vacuum off then it busted off but won't idle or restart without closing air off or keeping it reved up above 2000rpm. Is pop off pressure to high not letting fuel in? Carb air settings are at stock positions. I've added primer kit and a oil block off plate that's all besides bigger pistons.

Re: Yamaha SUV carb issues

Try setting the carbs at 38PSI pop off and see if it makes a difference.

Comment

So I pulled carbs and started to pressure test and heard a hiss come from vacuum port side and sprayed soapy water and the base of vacuum port is leaking so I'd assume I'd have a vacuum leak too, I matched gaskets with originals so could plates be warped or gaskets be thinner than original?

Comment

When you say vacuum side I assume you mean the fuel pump side where the pulse fitting is. I doubt the plate is warped, but maybe some corrosion or a scratch on it. I suppose the gasket could be bad too, but I have used many different brands and not had a leak from a gasket.

Comment

Yes fuel pump side, and thing is it's from all three carbs in almost same spot so mabey gasket kit is cheap I did buy from flea bay�� I did check for deep scratches and made sure no gasket material was left behind, what carb kits do you recomend?

Comment

We have put a lot of work into making our kits very good quality they are about $35.00 (1 kit needed per carb).
            https://www.shopsbt.com/jetski/mikun...ki-yamaha.html

The other option is the original Yamaha kit which has all gaskets and needle/seats for three carbs, but its pricey at 263.67.
            Shop SBT W/ Cycle Springs Powersports 2002 Yamaha SV 1200A | CARBURETOR REPAIR KIT Parts List

Comment

Bought your kit and going through them now and noticed that all main jets were 135 and pilot jets went as follows stator side towards rear 100, 97.5, 95, why are pilots different sizes?

Comment

I don't know why Yamaha does it that way.
                The service manual show #100 on Front, #95 on Center, #97.5 on Rear.

Comment

So I got carbs pop off pressures to 35psi, the ski starts great and runs great except when you shut it off after a ride then restart it will only except 1/4 throttle until it gains speed then you can go half to full throttle with no issues, you can idle around and take off with no issues. Could the pop off be to low and flooding the engine when it sits after ride or am I dealing with something else?

Comment

It is not pop off, but the needle valve might be leaking.

Comment

Working...
                    X