4 tec won’t crank with plugs installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 tec won’t crank with plugs installed

Looking for some help, 2003 gtx 4 tec.100 hrs. Rode for approx 20 min at higher speeds, shut off for 10 min and when I went to restart, cranked hard and clunked but DID start. Ended up it broke teeth off the bendix, installed new bendix from watercraft superstore, and was necessary to replace the flywheel (used). Upon completion the restart sounded just like it did before it broke the bendix. If I remove the plugs it cranks normally. It almost sounds like a car that has the timing advanced too far. Note, when I have the plugs in I am not installing the coil/wires, so is has something to do with compression. I disassembled again and inspected all timing marks. Pinned crank and camshaft as directed and all marks look as stated in shop manual. Reassembled, installed new sbt starter and battery, went over all cables and connections. Also has new solenoid. Results the same, cranks great without plugs. This time i pulled the motor and disassembled complete, this motor looks like it was just put together, cylinder cross hatching still there, pistons, bearings perfect. Valves seating normally. I reassembled the engine, I installed new rings and a timing chain for the heck of it, all new engine bolts. Disassembled the lifters and relieved the oil pressure from them thinking they might be holding the valves open but I have the same results. Can anyone tell me if the cam sprocket marks have to be perfectly level? I have watched several videos on the subject, one person gets level, one person has off slightly. Mine is off slightly but both marks still visible. Any ideas?
Working...
X