Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New member, newly-acquired 92 Waverunner 500. Issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member, newly-acquired 92 Waverunner 500. Issues?

Good afternoon everybody. I recently (last fall) acquired a 92 Yamaha Waverunner 500 from a relative. It had been garage/shed-kept for much of its life. I don’t have any other history on it besides that. When I brought it home, I realized that the trailer needed a lot of work, the ski also needed some work, but looked great for its age. I put a battery in it, rebuilt the carb, new fuel filter and it fired right up. I had an issue with the starter solenoid sticking and it would crank as soon as I hooked up the battery. That issue has been resolved with a new solenoid. Also, I was having an intermittent no-crank issue. I narrowed the issue down to a corroded start button, which has been cleaned and no longer an issue. I’ve had this ski almost a year and last weekend was the first time I had it in the water. I made sure it was water-tight and then let her rip. I noticed that after about two minutes of riding (not hard, but on plane), the ski would lose power and would not go above 1/4 throttle or so. I beached it and started searching. I figured a fuel issue, so I reset the carb adjustment screws according to my Clymer manual. Plugs were good, fuel was fresh, everything seemed fine. I immediately noticed it was taking on water. I took it back out after about a half hour, same thing. Got on plane and it lost power again. At that point, I stuck it on the trailer and did my best to enjoy the rest of my day, definitely disappointed. I didn’t realize until that night (and remembering burning myself in the engine while adjusting the carb) that it was probably overheating and the thermoswitch was killing it. Upon some interwebs research, I THINK I figured out the issue. Taking on water and overheating pointed me to the homemade flush attachment on the ski. It’s open to atmosphere when not in use. I didn’t know any better and realized that this needs to be called off. Can anyone confirm 100%?
    Today, I’m planning on checking compression, filling the hull with water to check for leaks, and running it again on the hose to see if the overheating issue is strictly in-water. If anyone has any other pointers or advice, that would be greatly appreciated. I’m a mechanic by trade (and hobby) and grew up around boats and skis, but have never really worked on them before this one.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2F1863EF-EB3F-4596-AF83-A723E994175D.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	256600
    Last edited by LiterACola; 08-08-2018, 09:26 PM.

Re: New member, newly-acquired 92 Waverunner 500. Issues?

Oh, I forgot to mention. This ski appears to have the SBN carb as opposed to the stock BN. Other than that, no mods... except for some badass 90’s retro No Fear decals.

Comment

Re: New member, newly-acquired 92 Waverunner 500. Issues?

I’d say that could be the problem. If the flush hose is letting water out of it then it’s probably not getting to the exhaust to keep it cool and filling your inside with water. Remember to watch for water coming out of the left side pee hole if yours has it. As far as I know most of these had one(my 1995 wave venture does anyway). As long as the water is coming out the pe hole on the side then that should tell you the water is flowing through the engine. I would bet your is not since the water is draining out the flush hose.

Comment

Working...
      X