1997 Sea-doo GTX Fuel Problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 Sea-doo GTX Fuel Problem?

Hello all. I have read this forum for most of the summer and it has been a big help getting a free ski up and running. Free ski came with the disassembled engine in a box with all the spare parts thrown in for good measure. Ski is now running and still has a few issues. It will max out at 4500 rpm at which point it will just hang there until I pump the primer(no choke)2 times. Then it will launch and rev up to 6500 rpms and take off. Very fast. Slow back down and it will rev back up to 4500 rpm until the primer is pumped and you are off again. Carbs have been rebuilt. Pop off pressure is 32psi on both. Drained all the fuel, removed the baffle and checked it for cracks, all fuel lines replaced, tank pressure tested, selector removed and gone over, inline fuel filter installed in place of factory filter. Compression is 150 psi on both cylinders. New coil installed.
    Since replacing the pistons and cylinders we have found that it was only running on the mag cylinder due to bad coil and that the exhaust hose was separated internally. This separation filled with water and was blocking the exhaust. We replaced both the coil and hose. It now runs but is fussy when taking off and has the rpm problem.
    The return hose from the carbs is clear and I have noticed a lot of bubbles in it when running. The fuel filter will almost run dry which is kind of strange. We have run it without the filter just to see what it would do and there was no difference. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: 1997 Sea-doo GTX Fuel Problem?

This weekend I bypassed the fuel selector, running a fuel line from the reserve nipple on the baffle to the fuel filter(which I also replaced) and then to the carb. The ski still will not go over 4500 rpm. One new development though, it would rev up to 6800 rpm if I hit another boat wake and the ski would lift out of the water. Almost like the jet pump would free up if it was allowed to suck a little air. It would take off and fly until I slowed down, then I would have to jump another wake to get it to take off again.
    I pulled the engine and jet pump this past spring to make all my repairs and never had an alignment tool available to put it all back together. The engine turns over ok and I don't feel any binding in the pump. Is the engine alignment tool an absolute necessity to have and use? I was thinking about cracking all the motor mount bolts a half turn and running the ski and let it find its happy spot.

Comment

Re: 1997 Sea-doo GTX Fuel Problem?

How old is the primer on your vintage project? Could it be pumping some air into the fuel system?

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
      X