Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

95 sts 750 impeller shaft spinning after much debris in the river. Logs sticks bark s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 sts 750 impeller shaft spinning after much debris in the river. Logs sticks bark s

While crossing the Potapisco river debris in the river multiplying until 750 sts started losing propulsion. Turned around and limped back to boat ramp keeping rpms at under 4x . anything over that the impeller just spinning. Made the mile and a half back. Pulled pwc from water and see sea grass inside jet pump. although nothing noticeable at grate intake? If impeller gets filled with debris what is possibly broke and how should I troubleshoot it. I never turned off ski to reset anything could my Sts 750 have put itself in limp mode because it never overheated just would not propell the pwc beyond 4x rpms . Please tell me what to check first? Should I have restarted the ski to see if propeller is turning when wick is pulled over 4x rpms? please respond

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Re: 95 sts 750 impeller shaft spinning after much debris in the river. Logs sticks ba

Start by removing the sea weed then check the impeller for any dings or cracks or bends, and then check the wear ring for scratches. I’m thinking the seaweed was probably causing a significant amount of cavitation at high rpms, and if the impelled is clean it should work fine after all the seaweed removed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Re: 95 sts 750 impeller shaft spinning after much debris in the river. Logs sticks ba

Is there a wear ring in a 1996 Kawasaki sts 750?

Comment

I have no idea, if it were mine I would definitely start with removing the seaweed and seeing if that helps or solves it. I don’t know if it has a wear ring, I’ve never actually seen one of these skis.... I would start simple and if the simple things don’t fix it then go from there

Comment

Thank you. I limped back and have not restarted it yet. Maybe it put itself in limp mode. but anything over 4x rpm was cavitation. spinning. Worst case is stripped splines. Thank for your Good words.I was at Calvert cliffs yesterday. Picked up a 2001 rx D.I hull with everything except engine and jet pump..

Comment

I don’t think it would be limp mode if it could still go above 4K rpms but would just cavitation at that speed. Limp mode would be more likely if the engine was overheating and it was limiting the rpms to 3-4K without being able to go any higher because it was trying not to overheat any worse...

Comment

I did as you suggested. Thank you. I had a plastic bottle cap stuck on the impeller blade. Pulled it off. Hooked up flush hose. All clear. could that have caused the cavitation? We were about 100 yards away from fort Mchenry. its like a mine field in that area. logs trash everywhere. A bad choice that could have cost a bundle.thanks for reminding me to keep it simple and look for obvious reasons first[emoji223]

Comment

I had a small twig cause huge cavitation with my ski so I wouldn’t doubt a bottle cap causing issues. If you haven’t already you might look into installing a strainer in your engines water intake to keep some trash from clogging cooling if trash is a big issue on your riding area... there’s an argument for it and against it so read up on it before you do it.

Comment

Working...
                X