07 Wake Nothing with Lanyard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 07 Wake Nothing with Lanyard

As the header states, there is nothing when the lanyard is attached. No beep, display, cycling of solenoids or fuel pump. I have battery voltage at the two 30 amp fuses and the hot sides of the 30 amp relay.
    I have power to the regulator/rectifier as well.
    This is a Florida ski, so I've looked at all of the corrosion possibilities in the wiring looms. The five ground connectors on the block have next to no resistance(Fluke meter) The battery ground ohms out too. CanDoo software does not recognize the ski (no surprise there) unless I force the 30 amp relay shut( ski icon turns green). When the relay was forced shut, the system fuses would receive power, but the fuel pump and other servos would not cycle. This ski only has an ECU and does not have an MPEM. I have replaced the ECU, DESS post and the 30 amp relay. I replaced the starter relay too. The pin on the ECU that corresponds with the ground on the 30 relay ohms out too(back-probed when checked on the ECU harness connector). However, on the old ECU, this pin was slightly green with corrosion. I think its pin 14 or 17, I don't recall right now though. There was a very small amount of corrosion at the base of the male pin on the ECM, but it was the only pin that corroded and nothing Earth-shattering.

Recap of items replaced:

ECU
    DESS post
    30 amp relay
    Starter relay

SOLVED

In all of my efforts to be thorough, I didn't ohm the purple/black wire from the DESS post to the 30 amp relay. When I did, it was open and the pictures show why. I sliced the insulation open to see how much of the copper wire the corrosion had consumed. The wire looked like it may have been nicked or chaffed and being at the low point in the loom, it had its fair share of saltwater exposure. This also explains the parasitic corrosion on pin B17 at the ECU. My approach to corrosion in the wiring was at all of the logical places such as connectors and ground attachment points. I didn't consider chaffing deep inside the plastic sheathing.

After a thorough repair, the ski has electrical power again. I hope this post hangs around for a while, along with the pics, to possibly help someone with a similar issue in the future.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wire Corrosion 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	256603 Click image for larger version

Name:	Wire Corrosion 2.jpg
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	256604 Click image for larger version

Name:	Wire Corrosion 3.jpg
Size:	178.7 KB