System indicates low battery but battery charged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System indicates low battery but battery charged

Both my 97' GTX's say low battery but both have fully charged batteries. I was going to remove each electrical connect, clean it and put it back together and then seal with a silcon spray.

Does this make sense?

Definitely clean and sand off each battery and starter electrical connection, and don't forget the mpen connections.

Comment

Are the MPEN connections connected to the computer in the front port side of the skies?

Comment

Yes, and also sand off the MPEM ground right at the battery.

Comment

'96 and '97 787 electrical systems are fincky about batteries. Sometimes, the MPEM's low voltage threshold calibration (non-adjustable) is set way too high, and this will cause the low volts warning to cycle repeatedly.

Bear with me please, several queations first.

Is this something that happens right after you start the ski and begin to operate it?

If this is so, once it clears does the warning stay off or come back?

What is the voltage reading of the battery when fully charged?

Has the battery been load tested to verify it's integrity?

These answers will help me to pinpoint the problem.
          John Kubiak
          Powersports Technical Training Professional
          Las Vegas, Nevada
          Sea-Doo Tech 13736
          PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
          PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
          NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
          Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

My "12V LOW" warning comes on periodically when the battery is fully charged too but the engine is ALWAYS off. Once I start the engine it goes back to being normal as it should. Sea Doos are very finicky about that warning and really it means nothing unless it is on with the engine running. Then there could be a sensor problem, a bad connection, or the battery may not be charging correctly or perhaps the magnetron ignition stator winding is not putting voltage out like it should to charge the battery. Does your battery die out on the water if the "12V LOW" indicator is on all the time??? That would indicate that the battery is not charging or does not have the capability, IE....bad battery.

Comment

It only happens when I put the key in and it was not until the other day that I could actually read what it was saying since it was in French prior. I have never had a problem starting either ski, both 97' GTX's and they have almost the same number of hours and type of use.

I will test the batteries with the "turkey baster". Will that tell me regardless of load test? Like I said, they are both telling me the same warning only when putting the key in and have never run out of battery power.

Comment

If it is only when you initially start the ski, and it goes off after a few moments. It's normal

The infocenter is displaying the "last known fault" which is that the battery stopped charging when you shut off the engine.
                John Kubiak
                Powersports Technical Training Professional
                Las Vegas, Nevada
                Sea-Doo Tech 13736
                PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
                PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
                NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
                Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
                X