Oil bath question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil bath question

I had a bad leak on my 94 spx. Oil all over the hull after a few days. I removed the oil pump and installed a block off plate and changed the oil bath lines. I haven't seen any oil in the bottom yet. The nylon gear had a bad/melted part where it sealed against the pump. The question is my oil bath level is dropping a little with each run (only had 2 so far). At first I thought it was air in the block that got pumped out when it was run the first time with out the oil pump. I haven't seen any oil in the hull so do you think the crank seals are leaking while the motor is running because of the vaccum? It's run about 1.5 hours so far and dropped about an inch in each side of the line. I revmoved the oil tank and just attached the lines together. Do you think the oils not leaking out while sitting because of the vaccum that would be created when it leaks?

Thanks
    Chad
    Chad

If it's not leaking outside the hull, there is only one place it can go. At this point you should drain the oil from the bath as much as you can, and pressure test the cavity. 5psi for 10 min. If you find it leaking, you need to rebuild down to the crank.

Comment

Thanks Bryan
      Thats what I was afraid of.

Chad
      Chad

Comment

Bryan
        I just thought of something why does the oil need to be drained from the tube?

Thanks again
        Chad

Comment

So it won't be messy.

Comment

Working...
          X