What did I do wrong (96 Xp)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did I do wrong (96 Xp)

I had a good, strong, low hours engine but I filled the hull with water after the dreaded exhaust started to leak in the hull. After buying an sbt replacement engine and breaking it in properly it did not seem to have the same punch that it had before. I thought that I was just used to it and that was that.

I sold my 95 spx and bought another 96 xp.....that is when it was really noticed. the second 96 Xp (both stock) is noticibly quicker and faster then the one with the replaced engine. I can't help but think that the ignition or rotory valve is just not right. Is this the right track or should I be looking elsewhere?

Thanks

An off-time rotary valve can certainly do it, or a cover with grooves or too much clearance...or carbs that need to be rebuilt, or a prop with damage... What top RPM are you getting?
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

The overall top speed seems the same it just lacks the punch that the other one has. I used the protractor and other then the punch, it runs fine. Should I start with the valve, or carbs?
      thanks for your help.

Comment

Look to your carbs first, make sure you aren't over-rich on the low side.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Okay, finally got around to rebuilding the carbs on the first one. It really ran great, so I am sure that the rav valve is right.
          Does sea doo have a special tool for the clamps (R+R)? What a pain it is to get the clamps off and then back on.
          On my other ski I will get into the rav valve timing and the carbs. Any special tools that are out there?
          thanks steve

Comment

Here is the special tool I use: take em off, throw them away and put regular hose clamps back on. It works every time. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
            X