PTO removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PTO removal

I just pulled my 720 engine and was following your removal process that I printed from online, it shows my engine pretty much through the whole removal process until I get to the PTO removal, then it swaps over to a Yamaha. How do I get the PTO off of my 720 motor? It is different from the Yamaha pictured. What do I put in or on it to turn it, and also, how do I keep the engine from flopping around on my bench. Everything else has been removed except for the PTO & mounting frame. Thank you, Pav

They all spin off the same way - use a strap or chain wrench around the large diameter. Use heat if you need to and a pipe for leverage. Put some rope down the rear plug hole to bind up the piston and stop the crank from turning.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

It is a smooth painted finish though, nothing to really grab on to. I tried a strap wrench, and all it did was spin around on it. Any position you recommend the engine being in? Every time I try to turn it, it flops around. This thing is really on there, I folded up a rag, stuck it half way through the exhaust port, and it cut the rag in half!

Comment

Use a cotton rag rolled up. You need two people and a propane tourch.
        Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

is there some reason not to just use an impeller tool?

Comment

No reason other than it's not convenient to aquire most of the time and most people balk at purchasing a special tool for a one-time use. It can be purchased through www.watercraftmagic.com or some local dealers.
            SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
            We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
            Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks. As special tools go, its a pretty cheap one. Your instructions might say "if you have the tool...otherwise..."

Comment

Working...
              X