Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primer kit install ???

Hi,
    I just got a 95xp 720. Someone removed the chokes and linkage in the carbs so I want to install a primer kit for easier starts and to be able to kill motor in case of emergency. What's involved? Do I have to remove carbs? I see a lot of how to on this site but cant find much info on this.
    Bill

No you don't have to remove the carbs to install a primer kit. Especially since someone has already removed the choke plates and shafts, (they did remove the choke plate shafts too didn't they?) To install a primer kit all you need to do is install the plug and thru fitting on each carb right in the old choke shaft journals. (I always use a little SUper epoxy on them also). I generally mount the pump in the same place the old choke T handle used to be. Maybe Bryan will let me send him a pic to apend to this post. I use the black mount plates after removing old choke cable and drill them out with a 3/4" bit and mount the pump, looks factory when done except for the butterfly decal underneath it [img]smile.gif[/img]

Seadoobie [img]graemlins/cwm3.gif[/img]

[ September 28, 2002, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: Bryan Glynn ]
    Either Get Wet, or stay on the Hill!

Seadoos
    91 XP almost completely restored
    91 GT almost completely retored
    94 XP old Play thang Sold (Not sure if Im glad or Sad,
    have a complete 94 XP parts
    ski for sale now)

Yammies
    97 GP1200 New Play thang
    98 XL1200 New project

Comment

Thanks for the info, they did remove the choke plate shafts and plugged the holes with some kind of epoxy. Sounds like they did me a favor [img]smile.gif[/img]
      Bill

Comment

A favor if you can remove that epoxy easily [img]smile.gif[/img] (be sure not to drop any chips of that down the carbs! Stuff a rag in the throat while digging it out, then use a shop vac to get any small pieces before removing the rag!) I have done complete installs with the carbs in place, and had to tear one completely down when I dropped one of the $%^# choke plate screws down the carb! You can bet I am super carefull not to do that again!
        Also the primer kit will come with instructions about the connection of the tubing. I suggest you tee into the main fuel feed between your selector switch and the tank and then always run with switch in reserve position. (Just basic fuel supply priciples)

[ September 28, 2002, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: Bryan Glynn ]

Seadoos
        ski for sale now)

Yammies
        97 GP1200 New Play thang
        98 XL1200 New project

Comment

Originally posted by seadoobie:
          I suggest you tee into the main fuel feed between your selector switch and the tank and then always run with switch in reserve position. [img]graemlins/cwm3.gif[/img]
          But if you do and it runs out, you are screwed. I ran out in the middle of the lake the other day and luckily I had some gas left in reserve.
          Red 03 GTX SC and Yellow 03 GTX SC

Comment

you should hook the T into the reserve line then there won't be problems of running out of gas

Comment

Guys where you T off is not the point, Most people I know try very hard NOT to run out of gas because as Mr. Murphy sez it will always be at the most inoportune time! Such as WOT and that is the stuff seizures are made of! Granted if you are not going to keep an eye on your fuel level, you may be stranded in the middle of the lake. But with you depending on the reserve and consistantly running out of gas on min then switching to RES you are gonna be sitting in the middle of the Lake sooner than you think and it won't be from fuel, it will be with a seized motor! Good Luck

Seadoos
              ski for sale now)

Yammies
              97 GP1200 New Play thang
              98 XL1200 New project

Comment

You should always tee into the RESERVE line...IF for some reason the hose connections leak and allow air into the fuel, it will only occur when you need to use reserve, so that you don't run with the possiblities of this at all times.
                John Kubiak
                Powersports Technical Training Professional
                Las Vegas, Nevada
                Sea-Doo Tech 13736
                PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
                PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
                NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
                Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

John, so you suggest running a ski out of gas too. Humm thought you would have known better. Oh well [img]smile.gif[/img]

Seadoos
                  ski for sale now)

Yammies
                  97 GP1200 New Play thang
                  98 XL1200 New project

Comment

I tee'd into the return lines on both of my ski's, then reserve is unaffected as well as main position, and if the primer o-ring fails and airates the line it only sends the air back to the tank... no harm done.

Anyone see any reason for this method being negative?

thanks

Comment

i do because if you ever clean carbs or or anything with running out of gas there will be no fuel in that line and you will have a very hard time starting your machine bacause you will not have any gas in that line

Comment

In general it just seemed the safest, and when I remove a carb, I make sure it starts before taking it off the trailer, once the line is primed, it stays that way generally. Once my Seadoo sat for a while and it did lose the fuel in the return line, and i just slowely pumped the primer, along with a bit of cranking to work the fuel pump, until it primed again.

Comment

But, the best reason not to tee off of the "on" line is ..... Just look at that little tee. Do you want that much restriction in your on line ? I don't......
                          Bill O'Neal WCM
                          <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Bill that is another good reason why I do what I do, which is tee into the ON line then always use the RES (keeping an eye on my fuel level to prevent running out) It does both like you say keep the small tee out of the line I run on, and like John said if it ever developes a air leak it is out of the equation because I never run on main. I guess there are as many ways to do this as there are riders. And thank you for your dedication to the sport, and helping the riders here!

Seadoos
                            ski for sale now)

Yammies
                            97 GP1200 New Play thang
                            98 XL1200 New project

Comment

decisions decisions... Thanks for all the imput
                              Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X