THE AGE OLD SUBJECT OF WATER INTRUSION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE AGE OLD SUBJECT OF WATER INTRUSION

I hate to bring the same old subject up - because it actually is talked about so much, it should prolly be made into a faq [img]smile.gif[/img] -

I was out at Lake Seminole this weekend and a buddy of mine flipped my 97 XP over. He flipped it back over clockwise, and couldn't get back on it - it just kept flipping back over. So, he sat tehre until someone could bring him back and tow the machine back....

When we got back (it was at the end of the day) I trailered both skis, did this

1. Shot water out of cylinders for a little bit
    2. Took off the ignition box and dumped teh water out.
    3. bought new plugs
    4. brought it home and got it started on the first set of new plugs.
    5. Flushed it for about 10-15 minutes (on idle with a little blips of the throttle)
    6. After reading something from bill@watercraft - throttled and rev'd high a for a few minutes to try to suck any water out of the crankcase.

This was last night, the ski was actually starting better than it did before the flip ironically. I do have Yamaha Fogging Oil for my Yamaha, but I know the difference between viscosity in SeaDoo and Yamaha oil, I didnt know if the fogging oil was the same so I didnt use it. Now this morning after reading I wanted to take it back over to the lake to run it hard again to get any water out of any places it shouldnt be - but wanted to know if it is too late, and prolly won't make a difference.

I was going to WD-40 everything, and just protect what I can.

For what it's worth, a friend of mine did this with s 96 gtx and it took him ALOT longer to get it started then mine. Once I put the new sparkplugs in it started on first try.

What should be done at this moment? Without running it hard in the lake, did I destroy the crankbearings?

Help! [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ October 20, 2003, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: bamboo ]
    <a href="http://www.flyerfaucet.com">
    Flyer Faucet Printing Services
    </a> Worldwide Leader In Full Color Printing

You did the right things and no permanate damage should be done. Next time, use any fogging oil or WD40 that you have available. The oil does not know that it is going down a Sea Doo carb or a Yamaha carb [img]smile.gif[/img]

Go ride the ski for at least 30 minutes ASAP.
    Bill O'Neal WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Perfect - Did that. People at work REALLY didnt believe that I was going out on the ski because I HAD to....

Ironically it almost runs better then before. (Prolly the new plugs maybe?)
      <a href="http://www.flyerfaucet.com">
      Flyer Faucet Printing Services
      </a> Worldwide Leader In Full Color Printing

Comment

We have had a video on the subject for some time in the Videos section.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Its a good idea to remove the plug from the top of the balance shaft gear cavity and spray a can of lube into it, start it and let the gear rooster all the white oil/water emulsion out.
          If the rear balance shaft bearing fails due to corrosion, it usually takes the cases with it.

On non suspension models, you can remove the plug on the bottom and drain the cavity. Too hard on 79xp's.

Comment

Guess you realize that your first mistake was letting your friend ride it. Best friends and pretty girls will always wind up screwing up your boat somehow. they'll always feel really bad, but your the one stuck having to fix it.

Comment

Working...
            X