"Loading Up" - what is it really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Loading Up" - what is it really?

Yesterday I had to tow a jet dock across the lake - used my 97 SPX (787 engine), and pulled it at about 1/3 throttle for about 35 minutes. when I got the dock all tied up, I figured the ski deserved a little "blow out", but was really surprised that when I squeezed the throttle, it hesitated and died. I started it and it died a couple of times, and finally got it up above the hesitation point by feathering the throttle. Took it around the laggoon a few times at gradually increasing throttle and finished up at WOT for two laps - ran great, and does today as well.

The question I have is, what exactly happened, technically speaking? What is "loading up"?

I'm sure Bill can answer this one!

Paul
    Iron Flight<BR>Nassau Bay,Texas

You just experienced "loading up",
    The cause is from running any engine at a speed where the unburnt gases remain in the combustion chamber during the next combustion cycle and cool off the physical and chemical reaction.

The 787 engine is very sensitive to this, especially at partial throttle settings running below 4000 RPM.

This condition can be made even worse by using a higher grade fuel than necessary.

Octane ratings indicate the fuel's ability to burn in the combustion chamber.

The higher the rating number, the slower the fuel burns.

Consequently, the lower the number, the faster the fuel burns.

Two cycle engines are hyper-critical on fuel requirements.

Too low of a grade of fuel, and the engine will detonate.

Too high of a grade, and the engine will fuel foul, or load up .

[ May 12, 2002, 01:19 AM: Message edited by: John Kubiak ]
    John Kubiak
    Powersports Technical Training Professional
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Sea-Doo Tech 13736
    PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
    PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
    NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
    Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
    X