Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xpl 98 pump sealing help

MY SEADOO XPL 98 ITS TAKING WATER INSIDE THE HULL
    SOME ONE TOLDME TU PUT WATER INSIDE THE HULL IN THE BACK PART.
    I PUT ALOT OF WATER THEN I WATCH FOR LEAKS AND BINGO!! I SEE THE LEAK AT THE BACK PART OF THE PUMP

I NEED HELP ON WHAT I NEED TO TAKE OUT TO PUT THIS PUMP OUT FOR SEALING IT

AND HOW TO SEAL IT

PLEASE HELP ME STEP BY STEP

ATT RODNIE

You probably should get you the manual to the ski, that would help solve 90% of your problem, the other is hands on work.
    I believe SBT sells the manual, get it that way you can learn how to work on your own ski.
    As far as step by step, probably take too much bandwidth. Just start taking the pump out and remember what steps you took and then work them backwards.
    Good luck,
    96xper.
    (I sold the 96xp and bought a 98xpl, [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Removal in a nutshell, disconnect the steering linkage (nut and bolt), VTS linkage (screw) and 4 nuts that hold the pump to the hull then just pull and wiggle.

I believe this model seals against the wear ring so make sure that's in the correct position and has no damage.

Have a look at this link for more help on what goes where.
      http://216.37.204.202/seadoo_oem/Sea...p?Type=12&A=70

Comment

the oem url dont works

and i need to put out the ride plate and grateplate too an reseal too? or just the pump?
        because the leak its on the pump only

rodnie

Comment

You will have to pull the pump to see where the water is comeing out. I doubt it is from the pump. It may be the driveshaft seal/carbone ring or some of the mounting bolts for the rede plate or intake grate.
          Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

To take the pump out on the xpl is simple. Take the steering linkage and the vts linkage off, take the 4 bolts that hold the pump on and just pull back. It comes right off with no strain.
            I am going with Dank on that its your drive shaft area where it goes into the hull. Or it could be your intake leaking water in. I know I had that problem.
            Also, check and make sure that all your tubes in the back are connected. If any of those tubes in the back of the pump area are disconnected, water will come in. Back the ski up on the trailer into the water and see if you can hear it filling up. Then try to trace it from there.
            Good luck buddy,
            SHOOTER

Comment

There is only a few places where the water can leak into the hull at the back of the boat.

The drain plugs.
              The exhaust thru hull fitting.
              The pump support plate.
              The driveshaft (carbon) seal.
              A bolt is missing that holds the scoop grate onto the hull.
              A loose sponson.

There is also the hoses, including the bilge pump hose.

To detirmine where the water is coming in, with the ski on the trailer, back into the water and look for leaks. If it doesn't leak without the motor running, it is not a high pressure hose leak or dumper hose leak. If it only takes on water when the motor is running, it is usually an engine water hose leak or a hole in the exhaust hoses or a loose hose clamp or a rotted out pipe. Check all clamps on the hoses, including the exhaust hoses.
              Remove the black cover to expose the carbon seal under the shock tower mount. See if the seal is leaking. Look closely around the hull where the water lines are attached to the pump support plate at the very rear of the hull. This is a common place for a leak to occur.
              If that is the case you will need to remove the pump,grate and ride plate, then the pump support plate and re-seal the support plate. This is a more difficult job and you will need an alignment tool to re-aling the driveshaft carrier bearing and engine when you finish the reinstallation of the support plate. If this is the case, you might consider having a pro do it for you.

If you partially fill the hull with water, it may leak around the carbon seal and run down the driveshaft and out of the scoop grate and out the pump or one of the other choices I gave you above. Try to pin point the leak before you disassemble a bunch of stuff that doesn't need to be disassembled.
              Bill O'Neal WCM
              <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

this is where i see the leak

[ November 26, 2003, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: Technical Support ]

Comment

i want to know what and where to seal??

look here
                  http://www.pwctoday.com/viewtopic.php?p=204848#204848

[ November 15, 2003, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: rodnie_pr ]

Comment

Have a look at this link, it shows the part you show as leaking. http://216.37.204.202/seadoo_oem/Sea...e=13&A=70&B=11

The pump support plate is sealed with silicon (right stuff) to the hull. Has it ever been removed? May be worth pulling the pump off as described above and see if you can identify the leak any more acurately. If it is the pump support plate that's leaking you may find it a real ***** to get off to reseal it.

Comment

You will have to remove the pump support plate. To do so, remove the grate, rideplate, pump and the 4 pump studs. The plate will come off with a little patients and some prying.

Use lots of Ultra Black sealant when you re-install the support plate.

I notice you have an extra cooling line installed. Things sure get rusty in PR !
                      Bill O'Neal WCM
                      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

hey bill if i do this that you said obout rideplate grate,pumpand pump support plate...
                        i need to realing like you said the other reply

need an alignment tool to re-aling the driveshaft carrier bearing and engine when you finish the reinstallation of the support plate

or just reseal everything with marine silicone 100%

rodnie

Comment

You will need to re-align the engine to the pump because you will be removing and re-installing the pump support plate. Be sure to keep the shims in their correct places if there are shims under the support plate. Definetly use an alignment tool to align the motor when you finish. Use only ULTRA BLACK or RIGHT STUFF from PERMETEX or you will be sorry later. Give it at least 48 hours before you ride it again.
                          Bill O'Neal WCM

Comment

some toldme that
                            "i dont need to align because
                            hasa floating bearing,the driveshaft has a floating bearing next to the battery
                            under the hood at the rear and that why i dont need to align
                            the drive chain are 3 pieces on ltd"

that said a pwc tech what you think
                            align or not???help

Comment

Somebody is telling you wrong.......... You need to align the motor whenever you remove and re-install the engine or the pump support plate or any intermeadiate driveshaft bearings like on an XPL, where the bearing carrier is set in place with bolts to hold the floating bearing carrier. There is no other way to know that everything is aligned correctly.
                              Bill O'Neal WCM

Comment

Working...
                              X