Can't Start Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't Start Engine

Greetings. I have a 95 GTX with a bearing that seized up on me about 2 weeks ago. Since the engine was out of warranty, I decided to replace it with an SBT short block instead of replacing the crankshaft. I've also replaced the starter with an OEM part.

Once the new engine was back together, it turns over without a problem, but I'm not getting any spark on the plugs. I've changed the plugs, put a new battery in, and did some basic troubleshooting with regards to gas flow to the engine.

I'm thinking there is a problem with the stator, magneto, or electrical system in the unit. (This ski was working for several years and was working as recently as 2 weeks ago…)

Is there a way to pinpoint where the problem is before I rip apart the flywheel, etc. and start looking around for loose connections? Is there some kind of tool I can purchase that tests charge coming from the flywheel assembly to the electrical box from the male/female connection on the outside of the flywheel enclosure?

Does this particular model have fuses that I should be looking at as the next logical troubleshooting point?

I was very careful when I put the new engine in, and the electrical panel was never even touched. Is it possible something shorted out? (This is not the first engine I've installed by myself in this unit...)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

you could have aligned the magneto wrong
    98 GTX Ltd, 95 XP, 99 Mastercraft

Comment

You can use a multi meter to test the magneto output wires. See a manual for the values.
      Bill O'Neal WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

I'm not sure I understand what you meant by aligning the magneto... I was under the impression the magneto was connected to the flywheel...and the flywheel is keyed onto the crankshaft. That stator plate can only go on one way, and there's maybe a +/- 5 degrees that the stator can rotate...

Is there something else I should have done here?

Thanks -John

Comment

Theres a hole in the flywheel....it has to be lined up with one of the triggers on the magneto cup, the outer edge of one of them.

They look like magnets

Comment

That only applies to 787 and 951's, not his engine.

[ July 08, 2003, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: Technical Support ]
            SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
            We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
            Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

oops, sorry, my bad........

I didn't know it wasn't similiar.......thanks for correcting me

Sorry about that, guess i better learn the different motors before i start giving out advice......LOL

Comment

There are tick marks at the 10 oclock bolt hole/ stator plate slot that need to be aligned. Advancing it won't cause it to not start, but retarding it can.
                First see if it has spark at the sparkplugs. If it does, pour some gas through the plug holes and see if it will fire up. It may be something simple like reversing the fuel lines at the carbs.
                Bill O'Neal WCM
                <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

I couldn't even get the engine to putter... It simply turns over, and nothing happens...

We tried a shot of ether into the carbs, which would have surely made it fire for a second or two, but that didn't work either...

A while back, I removed the choke and replaced it with a primer unit...so the carbs are getting gas...even if the fuel lines have been mixed up...

I don't remember anything about tick marks on the stator plate... Is there a picture or diagram someone knows of that would allow me to see what you're talking about. I would have to remove the engine again just to see if these ticks exist, so I'd rather know what I should be looking for before I dig in...

Thanks.

Comment

You either have spark or you don't. The timing may or may not be off, but it has nothing to do with having or not having any spark. If you don't have any spark, you either have a loose connection, bad coil, etc. How exactly did you test for spark?

Comment

We pulled the plugs from the unit and looked for it while we cranked the starter... I'm not sure if there's a more scientific way to do this... I'm all ears...

Comment

A little off topic but close - One thing that would be helpful on the SBT engine installation guide. While doing the engine teardown if it reminded you to mark the position of the armature plate assembly to the ignition housing it would keep you from stressing out about getting the timing back to where you had it before. Great guide otherwise (587).

Comment

You need to put the plugs in the boots and hold them to the head, looking for the spark to jump.

And yes, that is on the list of revisions for this Fall when we get the time.

[ July 08, 2003, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Technical Support ]

Comment

Well, it looks like I might need to rip the engine out and start over again... :( I just saw the thread for timing the ignition... I had no idea about the tick marks...

Funny thing is that I put a new engine in another GTX last year, and blindly put the stator back on without lining up the marks... But I must have gotten lucky because the engine fired right up...

Just out of curiosity, how forgiving is the timing on these units? I mean, does it either work or not work, or are there varying degrees of performance if the timing's not perfect...? I wonder if I should look back on the other unit to make sure that's lined up as well...

Comment

Re-read my posts regarding spark.

Comment

Working...
                              X