July 12th Plug Analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• July 12th Plug Analysis

So, I pulled my plugs on the ski after doing a WOT plug chop into the beach. I'm going to e-mail Tech Support a few pictures to see what people think.

It was about 80 degrees today, slightly on the humid side. I was hitting 6920 - 6950 rpms; highest reading I saw was 6970 rpms.

This is the first time I've ever done a plug chop to see how my plugs were coloring at WOT. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

[ July 14, 2003, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: Technical Support ]
    - Craig<br /><br />'04 Baja 342<br />'04 GTX SC<br />'98 GTXL<br />'95 750 ZXI

I would leave it alone, or go at the most 1/8 a turn out on your highs if you can.

[ July 14, 2003, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: Technical Support ]
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I agree with TS.

Your plugs look good, but on the edge of leaness, which makes good power, but may be a little lean if the weather ( air quality) were to change for the better.

I also suggest that you open the high speed adjusters about 1/8th turn, then check them again.
      Bill O'Neal WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Great advice, guys. I turned the highs out 1/8 turn and gained another 50 - 60 rpms. I hit 7,000 for the first time ever!

Bill, you were totally right about the overpitched prop on my boat. I removed the 15/20 Concord and had Impros repich an X1 to 15.5 - 18.5 and this thing is now a MONSTER!

Between the new prop and the fatter high settings, I gained 4-6 mph on the dreamo.

[ July 15, 2003, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: cbeastwood ]

Comment

WOW...4-6 mph.

97 xp, can i gain any speed or power just buy getting a different prop, or repitched prop...or do you have other mods go along with that?

Thanks

Comment

stupid question........i just noticed the mods you have below your last post....LOL...oh well, i can at dream of more power from just a different prop

Comment

Steve,

The prop made all the difference. I had the other parts installed already, but I couldn't take advantage of them with the overpitched prop. Since I dropped the pitch to a more usable range, the engine can now go to places it was never at before.

And, yes, I couldn't believe the performance increase, either. A steady max speed of 56 on the dreamo on July 4th vs. 61 mph this past Sunday after the impeller swap. 6500 vs. 7000 rpm difference. Haven't GPS'd it with the new impeller, though - probably 57 - 59 real mph because the GPS was reading 54 when the dreamo was reading 56 on July 4th.

Comment

I have a bone stock 97 XP....so your saying i can get more speed with just a repitched prop?

How about low end, any effect?

Comment

No, I'm not saying that - I put on the 15/20 because the X1 that the boat came with when I bought it used was very very beat up. So I trusted the dealer's suggestion because I didn't know what I was doing. Big mistake.

Stock impellers are usually mated to the stock boats they come on (i.e. - your prop is probably optimized for your boat already). You may want to take a close look at it and see if it's beat up, though.

- CBE

Comment

Already looked........it does have a small ding in the corner of one of the fins.

How hard is it to fix that, or should i just send it out to the professionals?

Comment

www.impros.com
                      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
                      X