Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 SPX Engine Problems

This is a little long but here it goes.
    I installed a new trigger coil, bracket broke on original. Next time out ran about a hour at WOT with no problem.

Filled gas up, headed back out and took a WOT high speed hard left turn and engine stumbled. Took same type turn to right, no problem. Took another WOT hard left and engine bogged even more. Headed back to ramp. At WOT, RPM was down to 6600 instead of usual 6900. Eased back to low speed for rest of trip and no problem with engine.

My compression tester was leaking air so no reliable reading. I removed head. No scoring or detonation seen. Inspected OEM fuel filter, it was OK. Secondary stone type fuel filter appeared to have some clogging. Removed carbs and inspected internal filters, they were clear.

I know that left turns load the engine the greatest. Bog there could be from lean condition. I'm going to clean carbs, replace external fuel filter.

I'm trying not to inspect under mag cover unless I have to. Does this sound like it could be an electrical problem relating to my installation of the coil? Any suggestions on additional diagnostics.
    Thanks
    Jim

If the trigger bracket is loose I could see it moving while turning one way and not the other. I could also see clogged fuel filters or even a baffle in the waterbox coming apart.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

What kind of carbs do you have,stock or aftermarket? Do you have any mods, like air filters?
      You described a lean condition, like you suspected. You might try enlarging the jets to the next size up.
      This phenomon is common with a Sea Doo on left turns. This is why we turn the carbs so that the diaphrams face forward on most aftermarket carb setups.

To relieve the problem, we sometimes run a larger diameter ring in our aftermarket nozzels, or an impellor with a little less pitch.

You are loading the motor harder on left turns, requiring more fuel during the turn.
      Bill O'Neal WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

I have stock carbs jetted for prok F/As. I have been running this same setup for about thirty hours without any problems. The only change made recently was the replacement of the trigger coil. Thats why I was wondering if my symptoms sounded like they might be electrical in nature. Although if the problem showed itself under hard left turns only and not right turns, from my layman's point of view that sounds not to be electrical but fuel related.

To check the baffles in the water box, do I just remove the water box and shake it around or could I hear loose baffles when the engine is running.

Thanks for the help all.
        Jim

Comment

Jim,
          My guess is that your ignition timing is somewhat different than before you swapped triggers, which is why SD service manuals say to check the timing after replacing ignition parts.
          It's still running leaner on left turns, they all do that.

Yes, shake the muffler and listen for rattling baffels. Common in 1995-1996 mufflers. They did a better job of fastening them in 1997, plus 1997's and later spx models flow better too. White 787 mufflers are the better mufflers.
          Bill O'Neal WCM
          <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Working...
          X