94 SP needs rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 SP needs rebuild

Ill describe where im at so far and you let me know what you think. I was having a grinding noise whenever when i try to start my ski. it would not start. so i checked the flywheel and the teeth are fine. then i checked the piston heads and they are all chewed up. Even the cover that goes over the heads has some damage. I cannot turn my driveshaft by hand and have been told that i have a bad crankshaft. From what i can see the heads are probably beyond salvation. so i will probably have to replace my heads. bore my cylinders, and replace my crankshaft. would it be cheaper just to get a rebuild from sbt and install it myself. here is my other problem. before it broke i had these problems:
    1. the sea doo was bogging down, i had the carbs cleaned at a shop. i changed my plugs. i did notice that about 1 hourafter use my plugs had a lot of black deposits on them. like they needed to be replaced. at first it happened every now and again and towards the end of the season it was a constant thing.
    2. my ski was idleing to a stall. is this because of my crank and engine problems
    3. it was hard to start. is this because of the crank shaft or are all three of these problems because of a fuel problem. like a pump or whatever.

if i do have a fuel problem how much would this be to fix. i had the carbs adjusted at the shop but could they have done a bad job. it started fine out of the water and did not bog down out of water. before it locked up i had compression of 120 in the front and 135 in the back cylinder.

the 3 problems i listed above worsened as the season went on. could this because of the engine getting worse. or what.

my main problem is that i dont wnat to invest money in a new engine if i am going to have all these problems after i fix the engine.

let me know if you need more info to make an educated guess on whats wrong
    thanks for your help. michael

Well, you are definitely at the point of needing a new engine, but I don't think you've found the root cause of the failure yet. I suspect your shop cleaned your carbs either too late, or needlessly. From what you describe, you had damage, causing low compression, which caused your other symptoms. No amount of carb cleaning will fix that, and it only gets worse. I can't tell you what's wrong, but I can say that you need to go over everythgin including the fuel system, completely, before running a new engine.

Comment

Could be an oil injection or cable problem. Is the injector working and adjusted correctly ?
      Bill O'Neal WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

can i take my seadoo to a shop and have them inspect everything like my fuel system, oil injection, cables and see if everything is adjusted correctly before i install a new engine. The engine currently does not start and the top half is actually disassembled. can they check out my fuel system without a working engine. Like i said before it was a progressively woresening problem. i bought it at the beginning of the summer, it ran great for about 15 hours and then it started bogging down every now and then. and then all the time.

Can i go over the fuel system by myself. or do i need special tools. and to have a fuel system , injectors inspected how much will this run me. would it just be smarter to sell what i have for like $1,000. or spend the $700 plus shipping and the extra cost it will take to install an engine on my own.
        thanks.

Comment

Nobody in there right mind would give you $1000.00 for a broken 94....

If you can run a screwdriver, you can check out your carbs.

I suggest you find a buddy who knows a bit about watercraft to help you, or invest in a manual. Most of your questions can be answered by reading the tech pages here at the SBT site.
          Bill O'Neal WCM
          <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

i was reading some tech pages on this forum. it sounds like i need to first determine what caused the failure and then think about replacing the engine or selling it. it may be a oil injection problem maybe oil pump failure. i dont know. i did notice a lack in thrust in turns and from the start. i looked at the damaged pistons on the tech page and mine look a whole lot worse than any of those. i have not yet seen the whole piston but i have seen the top and they just have so many chunks out of them. kinda like eroded rock. in a service manual will it explain what to look for and how to check if its working? If i take it to my sea doo shop do you suppose they could do a complete inspection in a reasonable amout of time. i have a few offers for $800 for the ski and trailer. should i take the money and use that to start saving for a new one or should i invest more money into this one.

Comment

Yes if you buy the seadoo shop manual it will explain the testing of the oil pump, which has been discussed on these theads many times also. Being new to working on the ski I highly suggest you invest in the shop manual! It will help you every step of the way in addition to the great instructions that SBT supplies with their rebuilds.

Seadoobie [img]graemlins/cwm3.gif[/img]
              Either Get Wet, or stay on the Hill!

Seadoos
              91 XP almost completely restored
              91 GT almost completely retored
              94 XP old Play thang Sold (Not sure if Im glad or Sad,
              have a complete 94 XP parts
              ski for sale now)

Yammies
              97 GP1200 New Play thang
              98 XL1200 New project

Comment

Take the $800 and run...

From your description above, you were riding this ski with siezed pistons for awhile. My guess would be the carb filters are clogged up, or something else like the fuel selector valve is clogged up.
                Bill O'Neal WCM

Comment

Working...
                X