Engine Failure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Failure?

I put a "new" SBT Seadoo 787 engine in my 97 challenger jet boat in April. Rebuilt the carbs, followed the installation, and break-in to a "T". I even converted to the oil pump block off, and pre-mix with Bombardier rotax oil ($$$) to ensure a long life. Today, first day of Memorial Day weekend, boat has been running GREAT! when suddenly, it loses power, and cuts out. Won't restart, simple troubleshooting reveals good spark & fuel. Engine turns over, change plugs, they're alittle fouled, changed them, engine wants to light off, but sounds BAD, like running on one cylinder. Saint in a Air Nautique tows me 5 miles to dock. Tow boat home.

Simple compression check reveals forward cylinder has approx 135 PSI, aft cylinder has ZERO!! I stop troubleshooting for fear of voiding the warrantee, or voilating some rule.

Am I missing something obvious here, or am I just up the proverbial creek with a warrantee? The real question is...how long will it take to get a new motor??...Mike

I replied to your email before seeing this, but I'll repeat:

I have forwarded this to Julie who will be contacting you Tuesday morning. We will get the old engine back for diagnosys and ship you your replacement as soon as the old arrives. You will be contacted with the failure diagnosys within 48 hours of the old's arrival.

What caused the original engine to fail? How many tanks did you get through with this replacement? What exactly were the circumstances of the failure? What plugs were you running?

[ May 24, 2003, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: Technical Support ]
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

This would be a typical senerio if someone did not clean the carbs filters, or had an oil injection problem that did not get fixed, and probably caused the first motor to fail.
      Bill O'Neal WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Working...
      X