oil pump testing / lubricant question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil pump testing / lubricant question

I'd like to also say that anyone that can install the generator/coils that go on the 717; the circular portion that fits in the "grooves" surrounding the shaft, is in my opinion, highly skilled/patient. I have tried for 2 hours to get it on with no luck. it just doesn't fit, bottom line. is it safe to sand on the grooves around the shaft on the engine to get this to fit? at this rate i'll have my engine in the ski like next month.

There are some cases that are tighter than others at the staotr. Yes you just have to sand the stator plate a bit.

Coper silicone gasket maker is NOT ok to use on any gasket. You need the aerosol spray copper adhesive, found at almost any auto store, usually next to the High-Tach. It's a VERY common part.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

thats what i use for the joint where the exhaust colts together, where the big clamp is.......works for me.

But i guess i should have been more specific. Copper spray-a-gasket for manifold, high tac adhesive for paper gaskets.

Comment

So basiclaly the copper adhesive works in conjunction with the copper gasket maker or by itself? do you spray the adhesive on before using the copper gasket maker? I have the high-tac adhesive for the paper gaskets. i also have another silicone based adherent that the instructions called for..i think #2 something. Is that used? I know very little about this stuff..gasket making..etc etc. i can write software, but i'm no gasket maker. instances to specifically use the spray gasket adhesive? i don't want to use the wrong thing for a certain junction of parts.

Comment

Our instructions do not call for #2 on any gaskets - it's used for seals and oil block-off plates.

You use High-Tach spray on intake gaskets, copper spray on head and exhaust.

Comment

I see. I didn't know what the #2 was used for. i just saw it listed. I understand that you use the spray, but use it solely or along with the copper gasket maker? if one does use it solely, where does the copper gasket maker come into play?
            thanks.

Comment

If you mean the Copper RTV, NEVER!

Comment

I'm referring to "Loctite copper Gasket Maker" that the instructions list along with "Loctite coppery gasket adhesive".
                instructions list the two.
                do i not need the maker?

Comment

What exactly are you reading?

Comment

the booklet that came with the core.
                    on the back it lists materials you need (wrenches, torque guage, etc etc) it's the booklet that shows taking the engine out of the 717/720.

Comment

OK I see now - my mistake. The silicone copper gasket maker goes on the large copper ring in between the two pipe sections, if you had to separate them - most of the time you don't. It is not for treating any paper gaskets though.

Comment

10-4! great!
                        are oil pumps expensive for the 717/720? I probably won't use it but i was just wondering.

Comment

Around $200.

Comment

hmm, well looks like i'm going to have to come up with a genius plan to refuel with no pump while i'm on the water.

Comment

I was trying to find the thread on here about testing the oil pump on a sea-doo. i have the 717/720 engine and i want to see if my oil pump is working. somewhere i was thinking there was a thread about using a drill and turning the pump counter clockwise. Also, on lubricants when putting the engine back together; i never found copper gasket adhesive...i just found copper gasket maker. one final question regarding blocking off the oil pump and mixing one's own fuel: how do most people refuel when they are out on the lake? i mean, where i live we have gas pumps on the lake and normally i just fuel up the ski and don't have to worry about the oil? will i now have to put the oil in the tank first, then fuel up? any pointers on this would be greatly appreciated. i don't want to have to carry mixed up fuel around to put in my ski.
                              thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X