Heat seizure (how to tell)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat seizure (how to tell)

Finally got my spec 2 running pretty good yesterday, but on my way home the main water inlet line poped off and didn't realize till my engine started running like crap and the temp warning come on. I looked at your tech article and looks like most of the damage from a heat seizure is below the piston rings. Will a compression check be able to tell if the engine seized or not or will there be cylinder wall damage? Once I figured out what the problem was and after my boat almost sunk lots of water in the hull was filled up to just below the carbs, I fixed it let it cool and it ran like a rapped ape again till the hose popped off again. Anyway best way to tell if the engine sized?

thanks

It started running like crap because you were starting to seize. I guarantee you have damage. No a compression check will not *always* show a drop, but if you noticed the performance difference, it is too late.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

After it cooled down, it ran fine. If I were to pull the head, would there be wall damage of some kind or some way I could tell for sure if something was damaged without tearing the motor down? Also, if I do have damage from a heat seizure, would I be able to get away with a topend rebuild and new crank seals?

Comment

It may not show on the cynder walls, but definitely on the pistons. Yes if it's just an overheat like that, you can do a top-end job.

Comment

I would hate to tear down the motor for nothing, is there anyway to tell if there is damage with out doing so? The only reason I say this is because the motor runs fine, I drove it back to the ramp wide open with out any problems. The only problem was when we got to the dock/bar it wouldn't start back up due to a fouled plug in the front cylinder. I just want to be sure it's broke before I try and fix it.

Comment

If it's running alright, it'll be fine for a while. You may be a touch low on compression and power from the scuffing, but I'm not saying you need to tear it down right now. If you want a clear diagnosis though, you have to. I would say ride it at least for the summer and see how it dows, keeping an eye on compression. If you see it drop 10+ lbs., pull it.

Comment

Thanks for the info, that's what I wanted to know. I'm in the process of building an engine anyway, will just have to speed the process up a bit. Infact I will come see you guys this week for the crank.

thanks much.

Comment

Just an opinion and from a past experience.

It will keep locking up on you once it gets hot enough. Thought mine was gonna be ok, once i ran it for 30 miniutes or so it would just flat out stall.

Guess it all depends on if both the pistons and sleeves are scored. Sure ya know when metal gets hot it expands.

Like i said, just an opinion.

Comment

thanks for more info, belive me if I even have a hint of something not right, even if it's a minor loss of power it will get yanked. I don't like unreliable, especially since I do most of my riding in the ocean.

Comment

I have a 99 spx . I took the motor apart already and the piston was stuck into the cylinder wall. do I have to put it back together to return it as my core?

Comment

We don't care if it's assembled.

Comment

can you tell me all the parts that I should buy, along with my new motor.

Comment

I cant figure out how to post a message in the forums thats why I private message.

Comment

How do I know if my motor is a 787 or a 787RFI? And would I save some money by picking up the motor? Im in orlando. Thanks for the help! Chris

Comment

If you have carbs, it's not an RFI. The RFI was only in RFI skis, like the GTX RFI.

I have no idea what you need without knowing exactly what happened to your original motor. Please start a new topic rather than posting in someone else's, thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X