Replacing Outer Crank Seals??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Outer Crank Seals??????

Just wondering, if a do it your selfer would be able to replace the rear and front crank seals without any real difficulty or problems. Someone local said they would replace the seals fot $100 not including the seals (I purchased already, OEM ). Should I let him do it or should I just buy all the tools needed ($85.00) and do it myself. I don't need to take the crank out. All I need to do is remove the PTO and Flywheel, split the cases, I want to clean the cases out and remove all the old sealent. If I do pull the crank to inspect, is there anything that I need to be carefull with when replacing it. Do I really need the distance ring (as per OEM manual)when installing the crank. I love to learn and I think this is a good time to learn , I just don't want to get in over my head and make things worse. If I use heat to get the PTO off will that damage the inner seals or just the outer??? I appreciate any help and advise, thanks again.
    Chris
    Factory Pipe Spec 2 <br />愛&D Rec Head<br />意ovi 44XR Carburetors<br />FLY Flame Arrestors<br />感rimer Kit/Premix (40/1)<br />愛+D Aquavein Intake <br />Galindo Grips<br />愛+D 85/88 mm Hydro-force Nozzle<br />惹olas XO (16.5/24) Impeller<br />媲each House Sponsons<br />廈ydro-Turf Mats<br />嫂WD Bow Spray Deflector<br />廉armin Etrex GPS (61.5 MPH)

Do a search, this was just talked about.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

It all comes down to how good a DIY'er you are. I didn't know a thing about 2 stroke motors a couple of years back and I am now in the process of rebuilding my third motor (not the same motor BTW - last 2 skis I bought had engine problems which I knew about when I bought them) but I do consider myself reasonably good with anything mechanical or electrical and am not afraid to have a go at most things.

You don't need the distance ring, that's for fitting the bearings in the correct positions. Don't know what tools you need to buy except a flywheel puller and a decent torque wrench if you don't already have one.

Shouldn't have thought the amount of heat you will need will be enough to travel up to and damage the inner seals.

Worse case scenario is likely to be that you get it all apart and then are not sure how to put it all back together. Then perhaps your local guy may help for a few less $.

At least if you do it yourself you got some extra tools for your toolbox for next time.

Comment

Thanks Colin, I am pretty handy when it comes to PWC, but no expert, I was thinking the same thing, I could buy all the tools for less then 85 bucks and I have the OEM manual to follow. I just wanted to see if there was anything I need to pay good attention to. It doesn't seem all hat hard, and I know that if I do it , what I want done will be done.
        Thanks Again,
        Chris
        Factory Pipe Spec 2 <br />愛&D Rec Head<br />意ovi 44XR Carburetors<br />FLY Flame Arrestors<br />感rimer Kit/Premix (40/1)<br />愛+D Aquavein Intake <br />Galindo Grips<br />愛+D 85/88 mm Hydro-force Nozzle<br />惹olas XO (16.5/24) Impeller<br />媲each House Sponsons<br />廈ydro-Turf Mats<br />嫂WD Bow Spray Deflector<br />廉armin Etrex GPS (61.5 MPH)

Comment

Working...
        X