Gremlins again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gremlins again

Was out on the lake today and the thing ran great.

Stopped for a pop at the store and popped the hod to vent and noticed oil under the pto rave.

Curious as i was, i pulled the cap off and twisted the exhaust piston. Well, it would not snug up.

So i pulled the whole thing apart to see what was up. The threaded part of the exhaust piston was melted and would not thread on. I also had a hole i could stick my finger through in the bellow.........The weird thing is, it ran perfectly fine, other than it seemed to be getting a bit hot.

Then i pulled the mag rave cap off and the bellow was breeched, which that may just be because it is not sealing right.

I messed with the water regulator last week and reversed the 2 hoses that go to it and over heated the muffler, could this have caused the rave problem?

What the heck is up with the melted exhaust piston on the rave?

I rode it yesterday and it seemed fine

Also, when i pull the plug on the pto side, you can feel air pushing out the hole, is that normal?

[ July 14, 2003, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: stevepaulus ]

Is the engine new?
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

it has about 50 hours or less on it.

I got late august or early september from you guys last year....still under warranty

Comment

Call in to Julie, we can send you new RAVE assemblies to try for a better clearance fit, usually the melting is from too much clearance between the valve and cyinder, as the parts wear over time.

Comment

I just did a rebuild on them a few weeks ago.........this will be the 4th time.

How could the parts wear that quick?

I will call, but there has to be something else causing this.

Bill O says too rich, but my plugs look great, at both low and high.

I replaced the needles and seats and did a rebuild kit, i see no sign of fuel problems..

Heck, the thing ran friggen great today, even without that valve working....weird, huh.

this is me

I will try new rebuild kits though....anyway i can get a new exhaust piston thrown in on this 4th warranty claim?

Thanks

Comment

Do you mean a whole new assembly, or just the rebuild kit?

Comment

I mean the whole thing.

Comment

You the man tech support.

You guys at sbt have always taken care of me, and i greatly appreciate it. I will call julie, who i always like talking to......such a nice person.

thanks again [img]/graemlins/winkanim.gif[/img]

Comment

wouldn't happen to know why there was no effect on performance with that valve not working , would you?

I am so confused right now

Comment

I'm sure there as some impact, if the piston was not gripping the valve to lift it.

Comment

ok, i will call tommorro to get the new assembly kits.

This will sound stupid, but while waiting for the kits i would like to ride it, since the weather has sucked here latley and we are finally getting good weather.

Will this F*** up the motor with only one valve working....

Cause tech support, i am serious, i see no difference in performance, if anything it runs better without that valve. Will this cause an overheat?

I'm stumped on this one, i have never run across something like this.

Stupid question, but i had to ask.......LOL

Comment

No problem except a potential mess.

Comment

thanks tech support.....i already have blow by but not to bad, so who cares, not me.........LOL

Thanks again [img]/graemlins/winkanim.gif[/img]

Comment

Not to be an a**, but seriousley, what is up with this cylinder? There is no difference in perfomance with that valve not working.

My warranty is almost up, is my motor getting ready to take a crap?

Seriousley, i have never seen a motor operate on 1 valve and run perfect, if not better.

I work on cars, but this setup is so different than them.

Sorry to be pushy, i am just lost.....this is friggen weird to me.

Please explain why get good performance even though i am running on one RAVE valve

Thanks

Comment

Define "good performance". How many rpm is the motor turning?
                              Bill O'Neal WCM
                              <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Working...
                              X