96 GTX intermittent miss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 GTX intermittent miss

last two seasons intermittent miss . I trimmed plug wires, No fix . Mechanic cleaned carbs. checked for water in gas. No help. Took it back this season he says now with head off it looks like cylinder is scored.?? but compression is 180 psi.? I don't feel he is on the right track.
    Scored cylinder is not good but why would this be intermittent? Another mechanic elsewhere says he had similar problem that was found to be voltage regulator problem. ($45.00 fix) This sounds more probable mechanically. What do you think? Help I've already spent $300 labor without a fix...
    P.S. When not missing engine runs 6900-7000
    rpm ,52mph, strong as new.

If it's stock, someone is not testing right, stock compression is 145-150, not 180.

If the top-end runs alright, it's not your rectifier.

Most of the time it's carb related, usually a rich or lean spot in the mid-range, it can be tough to tune out and often requires a professional going throught he carbs and making sure they are properly synced.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Have had carbs cleaned, carb. filters and adjustment by two different Seadoo dealer mechanics twice.

To clarify- when running on the non-miss cycle, low and high speed performance is perfect.
      Then at other times it's as if a spark plug is unplugged. It will stumble and viberate excessively then revert back to perfect again!.
      I have pulled the front and back plugged after a missing session and found the rear plug extra black.
      Sometimes if I shut down the motor when it's missing then immediately restart it will clear up .

Comment

I'd put a new rectifier in it.
        Bill O'Neal WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Thanks I'll try it.. and report back hopefully that my boat is running great..

Comment

Working...
          X