Question pertaining to Modified xp 800 oil injection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question pertaining to Modified xp 800 oil injection

Got this race ski with tons of mods. I think I may have figured out my problem. Because the pistons are new I have been mixing the oil about 35 to 1 for a nice break in mix. Well it keeps running for a while then barely running at all. At first glance when you look in the bow you can see that the oil injector has been blocked off. The tube that has the filter on it has been blocked, so I assumed that being a race ski that it was a pre mix ski. Upon farther investigation I have seeen two lines from the oil resevoir coming out and attaching to the block. Would this mean that the system is still operational? It has oil in the resevoir.
    Would modifications to the motor dictate the blockage of the oil filter line and leaving the othet two lines attached?

Matt

Sea-Doos using a rotary valve (580,650,800) have an oil bath in the center of the crankshaft, lubing the mesh between the crank and rotary shaft gears. When you go pre-mix, you bypass the pump, but that mesh still needs to be bathed. You can either leave the lines attached to the tank and it will circulate as normal, or you can loop the lines together. Either way, they are not related to the oil injection system, they just use the same tank.

Run 40:1 for normal running.

Comment

The larger 2 hoses feed the rotary valve drive cavity, basically an oil bath arrangement. You'll need to leave it so this area will be lubed. Premix as normal and you'll be fine. Only the smaller of the three lines needs to removed or blocked. Getting the oil tank out completely is the best way, this would require you filling this cavity and connecting the two hose barbs on the engine together, be sure all air is purged when filling this cavity, or you'll cause heavy damage. The absence of the oil tank will give more air space in the hull and an overall cleaner appearance in your engine area. MM

Comment

After rereading your post I realized that you're having a shut down problem? This is a new type forum, I couldn't easily go back and reread your post. Is this shut down occuring at high speed only? If the unit still has the original fuel filter make sure the o-ring is in place and that the filter is clean and unrestricted. If you find lots of dirt or trash in this filter you may need to clean your carbs. MM

Comment

I would bet a fresh set of BR8ES plugs gapped to 0.020" will solve the running problem.

Marc - what are you having a problem with on the forum?

Comment

Marc,
            The shut down is happening after acceleration. The motor will only bog and idle after that happens. It happened in OH and it wouldnt restart, so I changed plugs and it still wouldnt start, then the following day it started fine. It ran fine for a while then after accelerating it bogged down and here I am. When it bogs it almost sounds/feels like there is water in the jugs but I pulled the plugs and there was/is no water present. The fuel filter assebly has been completely bypassed.
            Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do next?

Matt

Comment

I have also noticed this problem happening after I hit rough water, this could be coincidental.

Comment

OK - let's clarify - is it shutting down (seizing) or is it just bogging down? If it's stopping, it's probably seizing, and it's probably because it's running lean. When that happens, you won't be able to normally restart it right away, unless it was a really light seizure...and when it does restart, it's got a bad ring seal so the compression is very low and you get massive blow-by, so it'll run like crap, at least for a while.

Right now, you need to take a compression check, and if you see it lower than 145/145, stop, and make repairs, because you've already toasted it. If that's the case, you need to disassemble the top-end and examine the cylinders and piston sides/tops to determine the type of seizure you had, and go from there - it might be carb realated, it might be oil related, it might be temp related.

Comment

IT sound s to me like your running lean. richen your carbs up and do plugs readings to determine where you are.Did the guy you bought the ski from not explain it to you?(the oil bath/resivour)
                  matt

Comment

Matt HX,
                    Im here in Louisville. I think I may know you. I may have ridden your HX before. If you hang with Mac and Darin I have and that thing was about a screaming machene. I got this ski from Chris L.
                    I just took out the gas tank and cleaned it. Carefully measured oil mix and took it to coxs park. Still having the same problem. It feels like there is water in the motor but when I pull the plugs I find no water and good compression.

I am now thinking that this is an electrical problem. :(

Comment

I would pop the head and inspect your pistons and cylinders for signs of seizure.

Comment

ok, hope its not seized

Comment

Pistons, rings and cyl walls look and feel clean. What can I check on the electrick side? Does this sound like an electronic problem or carbs?

Comment

Matt,

You might want to check you carbs. I have a 1994xp that has devoloped a bad low end bog. It runs great off the trailer but when you let off the throttle it will not rev back up. I found a bunch of crap in the carbs and the low speed jets were clogged. [img]graemlins/angryfire.gif[/img]

Comment

Matt,
                              I just switched my xp to premix. I left the oil tank in place for the oil bath. I believe you are friends with liquid missle so if you want to look at mine have him get a hold of me. [img]graemlins/angryfire.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X