No torque.. runs good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No torque.. runs good

New SBT. I had a problem getting the exhaust to seal.. water leak.. but new gaskets fixed that.

3rd tank of gas, and the **** thing just does not have any torque. have to lift the nozzle out to get up to speed, and I am off 7 mph.

I do not have a tach.. so I do not know the RPM

Carbs kit done. Plugs look good on low and high chops. Starts good, runs good. I ran the screws in the RAVE caps down tight, and it does not help. it is a dog, it just will not pick up RPM.

I suppose you are going to tell me to remove the intake again and check the clearance on the plate? and the timing ..
    I tripple checked the timing, but did not take the time to check plate clearence.. it is a new plate and the cover appeared good to go.

some insight please, I am flustered.. old motor ran great, right up until it ate the wrist pin needles..

I will need to check on a few things to get better answers.. like the true compression, and I might have the local wrench check the electrical timing..

but any thoughts on this would be accepted

[ July 17, 2003, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: Cheekster ]

I assume it's not revving as opposed ot revving nad not going correct? Yes rotary valve clearance is the first thing to check on an 800 motor with those symtoms.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

sorry.. 97 800 XP..

just will not pick up speed.. no torque.. if you wait long enough and help it with the nozzle, you can build speed.

runs good.. no torque..

I am getting good at removing the carbs and stuff, but not looking forward to doing it again.

Comment

What I mean is - does the engine rev up to normal speed and the ski takes it's time moving, or does the engine just really slowly get up to full RPM??

'runs good...no torque' makes no sense. if it runs good, it has torque.

[ July 17, 2003, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: Technical Support ]

Comment

does the engine just really slowly get up to full RPM??

correct.. but does not miss or anything like that.

hence the run good, no torque..

sorry

[ July 17, 2003, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: Cheekster ]

Comment

OK, then yes check your clearance, check compression, ignition timing *may* be it but it's the last thing I would suspect. Are there any mods? How did it run before? What happened to the original engine?

Comment

completely stock. first time it has had any work..

old motor ran great, right up until it ate the wrist pin needles..

Comment

Well, that is the end result of a problem, not a cause. How did everything else look? When did it go, first time after stoarage, on the water, after a flip, what?

Comment

rode it memorial all weekend.. 5 tanks.

then went out Sunday after memorial, and it went away.. had put 1 1/2 hour on it the day it went down. and it went in a hurry..

there was evedence of water damage on the skirt of the piston that did not go.. so I thought that it was just something that had built up over time and failed..

I appreciate the support..

[ July 17, 2003, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: Cheekster ]

Comment

Water will kill it immediately. If you gulped in some water, it will wash your bearings, score the pistons and on a rotary valve engine, wear the cover. Check your clearance and report back.

Comment

picked this ski up last fall.. and do not know the complete history. but thought all was well for as many hours as I put on it. goes through plenty of oil, and I did reverify that both cyl were getting oil when I reassembled. I am not using the block off.

bummer.. I will not get to it tonight.. but will tomorrow.. thanks for the insight..

Comment

Working...
                      X