No announcement yet.

1992 Sea Doo SP HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are looking at the wrong part. No they are not the same.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Your dad is right that the rectifier could be one of the problems, but the rectifier is part of a circuit. It is actually part of the charging ciruit...the circuit that puts juice back in your battery and supplies electricity for the rest of the jet ski. If it is not putting juice back into the system, your battery will slowly drain from starting and riding.

The rectifier is just a little box a little bigger than a mini-snickers bar with 4 wires coming out of it. 2 go to the charging coil where pulses of electricity come into it. One is red and it goes to your MPEM (big black box). The other is black and it goes to ground.

The rectifier takes the pulses of electricity coming from the charging coil and turns them into DC voltage to charge and run the ski. It could be bad, but so could some of the other items we've suggested that are in the same circuit.
      Zack Jones &gt;<br />(Still Learning)

Comment

If you go to http://216.37.204.202/Seadoo_OEM/Sea...ype=13&A=7&B=8

and see that part 13 is pointing to the rectifier. This is the SAME EXACT diagram that is in Clymers 1988-1996 Sea Doo Shop manual.

Only that part 13 is labeled as Solenoid. No where in that manual does it show a rectifier. This is what initially mislead me to thinking that is doesn't have a rectifier, but in the manual, it shows that exact little box that is part 13 in the above diagram as Solenoid....
        Weird.
        Thanks,<br />Devan

Comment

That's an easy one...Clymers sucks as a primary manual - tons of mistakes in it!

Comment

What would be a better manual to get then?
            Thanks,<br />Devan

Comment

The OEM Sea-Doo manual

Comment

I've got a scanned electrical diagram from that year/model on my home computer. If you like I'll email it to you tonight.

I'll just need you to send me your email address...

Comment

Okay...I recharged the battery.

Also I replaced the 5amp fuse, the housing and all because, the old fuse holder had shown signs of overheating on either sides. It had melted a bit and I was unable to easily open up and check the fuse. I had to cut into it, but the fuse inside was fine, not blown or anything.

So that is now replaced and I charged the battery, and it starts right up now......

Where in this 5 amp would have a short that would allow power to constantly come thru and wear down the battery within a few hours while running the waverunner? In the electrical diagram the 5 amp is connected to the relay closest to the Speed limiter.....can the relay go bad and have a short in it or something. I mean what in the whole electrical system keeps the battery charged while you have the engine running and in use? It doesn't seem to be the rectifiers job to provide that....

Also, not that I have it running, it runs/idles real fast, like you have the gas pressed in a bit, I have to press down on the throttle cable to get it back to the correct idle. This must have been from me squeezing on the gas so much to try and start it, but how do I get the cable pull to pull down on it hard enough to bring it to correct idle?
                  Thanks,<br />Devan

Comment

I'll let someone else address your idle question...

How does your 15Amp fuse look? If your MPEM has a bad relay that could cause a problem, too.

If you look at the electrical diagram you can see a red wire that comes off of the starter solenoid. It's not there for the solenoid, it's there to meet a red wire that goes straight to your battery. Your battery will be charged through this wire.

> I mean what in the whole electrical system
                    > keeps the battery charged while you have the
                    > engine running and in use?

After you start your engine the LEFT relay closes and allows charging voltage to come from the magento charging coil, through the rectifier, across the relay and then to the battery.

If your 15A fuse were bad, or the relay were bad then your battery wouldn't recharge...

Comment

The carbs have an idle adjuster tee handles screw by the cable wheel.

Alot of these older skis have worn out throttle shafts that suck air past them and into the motor, creating a lean ilde condition. You may be able to richen the low speed mixture screws to compensate, and lower the idle speed that way, if the shafts are not too badly worn.

First make sure the throttle cable is not adjusted too tight, holding the idle speed up too high.
                      Bill O'Neal WCM
                      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Re: 1992 Sea Doo SP HELP!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I replaced BOTH relays, took out the ski this weekend, and once again, after a few hours of riding, the battery didn't have enought juice in it to start it up again. What is causing this? The relays that were in the electrical box, were bad, and replaced both of them. In a previous post, it was noted that if the left relay was bad, then the battery wouldn't charge. What else can cause the battery not to stay charged?
                        Thanks,<br />Devan

Comment

Have you replaced the rectifier yet? It charges the battery.
                          Bill O'Neal <br>
                          WCM
                          <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

No I haven't replaced the rectifier yet. It seems like I was told in earlier posts in this thread that the rectifier doesn't send the current back to the battery to keep it charged, but I doubted that statement. Where can I get a rectifier that works correctly for a 1992 SP?
                            Thanks,<br />Devan

Comment

Charge the battery up again. It should have about 12.5 vdc with a full charge. Check it with a voltmeter and see what it is, then start it and at about 3500-4000 rpm's it should read a higher voltage,about 13.3 or4. Some even get up to 14. one of the big problems with them is an intermittent ground which ruins them. Still they fail pretty regularly.
                              Dick Bell
                              http://www.hansenskidoo.com

Comment

Those older skis have rectifiers and they have relays on the mpem. One of those relays handles the charging of the battery. A recitifier can be bad and cause your problem by ruining the relay on the mpem. You may need both.
                                Bill O'Neal, owner of Watercraft Magic in Glendora California, www.watercraftmagic.com

Comment

Working...
                                X