Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1992 Sea Doo SP HELP!!

FYI,

The older rectifiers have a green colored filler over the circuit boards. If you look closely, most bad rectifiers will look like it has rust around some of the connections buried in the green ( or sometimes brown) gel.
    Bill O'Neal, owner of Watercraft Magic in Glendora California, www.watercraftmagic.com

Comment

aaa
      Bill O'Neal <br>
      WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Well...I'm more frustrated than ever now. I ordered a brand new rectifier from the local Sead Doo dealership and installed early last week. I went to start the ski and it would'n even make a sound when I depressed the button...I wiggled some wires around the electrical box and then I finally got it to start.

Took it to the lake on Sunday...and I headed out and it died 3 times....

I would give it gas and it would plane out then .... wam.... nothing dead in the water...I would press the button, and get NO response what so ever. I would wait about 30 seconds, and it would fire again...after 3 times of this, it finally stayed running for 30 minutes or so...

I went over to our boat and shut it down...then after about 30 mins I jumped back on it to go out, and when I press the start button...I get nothing again. I tried some on the water repairing with moving the wires again like I did when I had the ski at home...but no luck. It won't engage anything when I press the button. I'm at a lost right now to find out what to check next.
        Please help.
        Thanks,<br />Devan

Comment

If you have to "wiggle" wires to get the motor to start, you must have some corroded wires or connectors. I cannot trouble shoot your problems if the wiring is screwed up. Fix that first.

The 92 Sea Doo mpem has two relays on the mpem. one of them may be bad and need replacement? Try switching them around from one position on the mpem to the other. See if it makes a difference.
          Bill O'Neal <br>
          WCM

Comment

I have replaced both relays as well.

New battery
            New plugs
            New 15 amp fuse
            2 new Relays
            New Rectifier....

and the rectifier was the lastest item replaced, and when I press the start button...I get absolutely nothing...no sound of it even trying to start which it used to do...
            Thanks,<br />Devan

Comment

Ok, lets troubleshoot the starting system.

Make sure the ground cable from the negative side of the battery is well grounded to the motor and is not corroded badly. Make sure the battery is fully charged. Recheck all fuses in the electrical system.

First jump the two large posts on the solenoid to see if the starter works at all. If it works, that eliminates the starter motor as a problem.

Next, try to figure out if you get power to the solenoid when you depress the starter button with the lanyard attached. Use a test light on the solenoid posts to detirmine if you have power and where it stops. It is possible that the starter solenoid has quit working. It is also possible that the tether post or the starter button switch has failed working correctly.
              Bill O'Neal <br>
              WCM

Comment

Okay, so I gave in and took the ski into a near by Sea Doo dealership for work. The iginition switch had come apart inside, so in lieu of ordering a new one, at an OUTRAGEOUS charge, they were able to put back together the iginition assembly. I guess the contact pad wasn't touching right. They also did a charging system test, since I have replaced the rectifier, both relays..etc. and they said that the charging system was working.

So, I take out the ski last weekend, and once again.....it ran fine for about 20 minutes, then ALL of the old symptoms I have been fighting for the past 2 1/2 months came back. I would get no response from the ignition switch....I would sit for a minute or so, then it would fire back up, but I had to stay in the throttle a bit to keep it running. After limping the ski over to our boat. I got off of it, let it sit for a while, then got back on and ran it, and a full throttle....it went dead again. No response from anything. Towed back into the marina, and the next morning it started again and I was able to get it over to the boat ramp.

What is causing all these inconsistency!?!? I am at a lost as to why it will run so good right off the get go, but not stay stable at all.
                Thanks,<br />Devan

Comment

Maybe you need that new switch?
                  Bill O'Neal <br>
                  WCM

Comment

But how does the ignition switch play a role once the ski is started and running?
                    Thanks,<br />Devan

Comment

Well, if it disconnects, the engine shuts off.
                      Bill O'Neal <br>
                      WCM

Comment

Bill, You talking about the starter button or the kill switch?

BoatBuilder, which one fell apart?

Comment

Either or, will kill the motor if it disconnects.
                          Bill O'Neal <br>
                          WCM

Comment

Originally posted by Bill O'Neal2
                            Either or, will kill the motor if it disconnects.
                            How is the starter button going to kill the engine? It's just a spst switch that shunts power to the starter.

Comment

Only on models that have a seperate starter button on the dash.....
                              Bill O'Neal <br>
                              WCM

Comment

My kill switch up on the left handle bar is real loose, and the housing you can push in and out into the larger black housing that holds it. That may be loose...

But it is just weird that the ski would start again the next morning. I don't see how the starter button would not work after riding for a while, but then after sitting over night, the start buttton works again...

And when it is running, and then dies, the starter switch won't work, but then you wait a few minutes it will engage again...sometimes. Very frustrating, considering all the work I have done to troubleshoot this ski.
                                Thanks,<br />Devan

Comment

Working...
                                X